Sign in to follow this  
WFGinNM

Coues' Poses

Which pose do you prefer and why? Looking for input.

Thanks,

--Bill

I've always liked upright. Sneak looks goofy at the shoulder, they look like neck mounts. I have seen a half body sneak that looks killer though.

I always have prefered semi-sneak poses. In my opinion a turn is a MUST! To me a straight ahead look just looks unnatural and a turn either way just gives the mount a little more life. I agree that full sneak often look odd and I think it takes the right deer and a taxi that really knows how ear and eye placement need to look to pull it off.

I always have prefered semi-sneak poses. In my opinion a turn is a MUST! To me a straight ahead look just looks unnatural and a turn either way just gives the mount a little more life. I agree that full sneak often look odd and I think it takes the right deer and a taxi that really knows how ear and eye placement need to look to pull it off.

I agree.

Another thing to take in consideration is that if your house does not have the vaulted (sp) ceiling the semi-sneak and/or full sneak pose look really good and your mounts dont have to be hang so low.

Ernesto C

Semi sneak is how 90% of all of my deer are with a turn on all of them. To me up right doesn't look natural and you need the right deer to have a sneak pose. I have 1 sneak and 7 semi sneak. The 1 sneak pose looks great with all the semi sneak deer around it. Also they have some new forms that are off set at the shoulder and some that don't sit flush on the wall. It is nice to have some little differences in each mount. It is just my preference others may like it different ways. I also have the ears posed differently like both back or one kicked way back and the other back just a little. On one of my mounts I had a great picture of it alive and I had the mount done exactly like the picture, the ears and everything. It took some customizing by Clay at Mogollon Taxidermy but he made my buck look exactly like the picture. It is pretty cool. If I kill two more big bucks I want to do either a double pedastol or one pedastol and a full body coues. I think full body coues mounts are about one the best loooking mounts there is. By the time I retire I will have more money in mounts than in my house. :lol:

Thanks for the input. I'm getting closer to mounting the Coues' I killed in '08 and need to decide on a pose, this helps.

--Bill

My Son Colton) and his girlfriend (Amber) are using an alert wall ped form different turn on thier last bucks... you can see Amber's mount on the Wild Heritage Taxidermy thread.... Dale has some really nice forms that he is using... maybe he or Heather can post a few of them up... my Niece's "Hardway, Lion buck" has its antlers mounted on that same great from right now as well. ;)

Sorry Bill.... I was too lazy to take pics of just the coues but... here are the ones in my house.. lots of semi- sneak and semi- alert stuff...

post-996-1281534969_thumb.jpg

post-996-1281535016_thumb.jpg

post-996-1281535052_thumb.jpg

Semi sneak, to me looks the best, and i've done quite a few, and i also agree a TURN is a must, one way or the other does'nt matter, just put a turn on it. to me the 2 deciding factors on which way to turn it is #1, Were is it going to hang on the wall, you want the mount to be facing you when you enter the room, from a door way or hall way what ever, were ever the main enterence is, then you want it facing that way. IMO. Then #2 factor would be antlers, if there happens to be a side that is better/bigger/more unique, then you could have that on the outside, to more "show case", that side...... Haveing said that though, it also depends on # of mounts you have. For some they only have 1 mount, so facing the door way is a must ( to me) but then there are some that have lots of mounts, and so a turn might depend on if you have a big elk in the center and want a deer on each side of it facing it, so one side would be turned in to the left and the other turned in to the right.... So these kinds of factors also come into play.... Way to much thought into it, yea well maybe :)

good luck

tommy

Semi sneak, to me looks the best, and i've done quite a few, and i also agree a TURN is a must, one way or the other does'nt matter, just put a turn on it. to me the 2 deciding factors on which way to turn it is #1, Were is it going to hang on the wall, you want the mount to be facing you when you enter the room, from a door way or hall way what ever, were ever the main enterence is, then you want it facing that way. IMO. Then #2 factor would be antlers, if there happens to be a side that is better/bigger/more unique, then you could have that on the outside, to more "show case", that side...... Haveing said that though, it also depends on # of mounts you have. For some they only have 1 mount, so facing the door way is a must ( to me) but then there are some that have lots of mounts, and so a turn might depend on if you have a big elk in the center and want a deer on each side of it facing it, so one side would be turned in to the left and the other turned in to the right.... So these kinds of factors also come into play.... Way to much thought into it, yea well maybe :)

good luck

tommy

Tommy,

Too much thought??? Not a chance. I recently completed a Sitka Blacktail I killed in '07 and mounted him upright with a right turn. I wanted to do something different with the Coues', when I shot him he was semi-sneak slight left and that is kind of what I'm leaning towards. But, his stronger side is his left side.

Coues2008018.jpg

I'm thinking it might pronounce it more with a lighter wall color behind it than having it towards the room (like in the picture). I don't know? :unsure:

Gino & Bryce Canyon,

Thanks for posting the pictures, and link, always helpful trying to picture the poses. ;)

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming,

--Bill

I've always liked upright. Sneak looks goofy at the shoulder, they look like neck mounts. I have seen a half body sneak that looks killer though.

Good information, I hadn't thought about the Coues' being so small that a full sneak would look somewhat like a neck mount. I can see it though.

Thanks,

--Bill

"By the time I retire I will have more money in mounts than in my house."

That's not a bad thing is it?? :D I moved most of my "stuff" up to my cabin so I can start reloading the house in town again. ;)

--Bill

Bill,

that too much thought was ment towards myself, with all of the discription i was giving, on 1 mount vs several ect... that others might think i was putting to much thought into it. NOT that you were, i think its great that you are getting ideas, and thinking about it before doing it, i get so many that come in that dont have a clue as to what they want.

WOW, what a nice buck, mounting him as you last saw him is also a request that i get often........ and yes a background/wall color can also bring out the antlers better. On that buck there though i'de have a hard time not turning him to the right with that left side towards the room.... Either way very nice buck!

good luck making a decision, that buck will look great no matter which way hes turned :)

tommy