mulie hunter,

Here's some members responses to our question.

Carp, the best description of why they are called Carp came from "Bullwidgeon"

I did not see it in the thread you brought up.

I remember his explanation something like because they are the deer that dwell in the lower altitudes hanging on the Bottom of the desert floor like a mud sucker "Carp".

I had a 40 yd shot at a 2 point Carp opening day of 2006 and passed. Needs to be a little bigger than that to sacrifice the whole year with no other deer hunt.

Now if it were the last day of 2005 I would have tried to fill my tag.

Unfortunately I got no closer than 100 yds to a few 3 point mulies the last week of o5 w/no shots.

Still fun to shoot pictures of though.

Dan

alla you midget deer afficionados that think muleys are dumb and easy to hunt, ain't never hunted big ones. spikes are easy to shoot, no matter what species they are. they way i see, little deer, little brains. then that transponds on to the folks that hunt em. them poor little coues just sorta wander around and bump into stuff. i find em all the time dead under cliffs where they just fell off it, because they didn't run into a tree or rock to turn em. and talk about lion bait. if it wern't for them goofy little special ed deer, a lotta lions would starve. you ever see "jackass"? coues are like "weeman" of the deer world. coues deer huntin' might also be sorta like how you always see guys in them big ford super duty diesels, jacked up a couple feet, big ol' mudders on em. and when they get out they ain't as tall as the runnin' board. guess it's just whatever a guys level of competence is. sorta like a duck hunters. all they can outsmart is ducks. anyway, that's the way i see it, and i'm the smartest guy there is. i've told ya that a buncha times. remember, when your huntin' coues, shoot low. :D , Lark.

Now what can a say after that!?? :D

The guys I work with are giving me a hard time for hunting "Jackalopes". :lol:

I suppose it's a matter of perspective. :lol:

Bret

I only use the "carp" term when I'm tryin to piss off my brother-in-law. :) He's the one who has hunted coues deer for only 4 hours of his life..........and killed a 114" buck! :lol: :D He did his homework and was given some great info, but it still is hard to swallow when I've been tryin to do that since I was 10 yrs old! He thinks coues are easy and doesn't care to hunt them anymore! Just wants to hunt Mulies now. I'm not bashing him, he knows what he got and how he got it and appreciates it, but he didn't get the full "coues deer" experience! So his idea of Coues deer is not accurate. I feel to get a full taste of coues hunting, you need some bad hunts as well as some good hunts under your belt before making an accurate observation about the deer. I love Mulies as well but I love Coues deer more because I feel they present more of a challenge for me. I have killed a bunch of mulies, quite a few with a bow, and have put equal time into coues deer and have only killed 3 with rifle and 0 with a bow. I actually put more time into archery hunting coues deer every year than anything else and I still haven't gotten one yet. For that I give coues deer more respect than mulies but its my own personal reasons. I do think mulies aren't as pretty or graceful as a coues deer and I honestly think mulies are easier to hunt than coues, on average! But, if you're after a book deer, it would be harder to kill a book mule deer than killing a book coues! :lol: (my $.02) Couesfan all the way! :D JIM

Call 'em what you want. I love all antlered game.

Bret M.: I often see carp at elevations up to 9,600 feet near my cabin. Not exactly bottom dwellers.

:D