Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

New Hampshire Student Nipple Clamp Zap

As an educator/woodshop teacher I found this article to be interesting. Reminded me that i needed to remind my students that the bandsaw will cut them if they stick their finger in it or any other body part!!! :blink:

New Hampshire Student Nipple Clamp Zap: Blames Teacher, Warn of Dangers?

By Jim Roberts

Sep 1, 2010

A New Hampshire student used a nipple clamp to zap himself with an electrical shock and may have "permanent brain damage" and will now sue. It happened at school and he blames the teacher and claims the school should warn of the dangers of electricity and nipple clamps.

Kyle Dubois is the student and he will sue teacher Thomas Kelley (the teacher has resigned) and the school and others. The accident happened in shop class in March.

WBZTV reported the incident this way at that time:

"School superintendent John O'Connor said 18-year-old Kyle Dubois was working on circuitry when he was shocked Thursday morning. He is part of the electrical trade program at Dover High. Dubois, a junior and a standout hockey player, was handling alligator clips to build the circuits when at least 90 volts surged through his body.

He was knocked unconscious. "The student immediately passed out, went to the floor, our staff, the teacher, a student that was involved immediately started to perform CPR," said O'Connor. Dubois was rushed to the hospital."

He lived and now the Union Leader reveals Dubois and his parents claim the teacher did not warn Kyle and other students how badly hurt they could be by electrical demonstration cords in their electrical trades class.

The paper adds: "According to a suit filed in Strafford County Superior Court, Kelley encouraged Kyle to shock himself, even offering a Mountain Dew in exchange for doing so."

The teacher denies offering the soda for the shock, but Fox News reports he has declined to comment on the lawsuit.

W/T/F come on

If the teacher actually egged him on I could see some merit to a suit. If not that is simply darwinism at work. Who knows, after the permanent brain damage maybe the kid will actually be smarter. It would be nice if they made people who filed lawsuits because their brains don't function correctly dig ditches for the rest of their lives with no pay.

may have brain damage? he definitely did before he did it. they use electroshock on goofy folks all the time. it mighta made him better. he might owe the school. Lark.

Lark you may be on to something.

I presented to every one of my woodshop sections the following:

7th and 8th graders remember!!!!

I cut a cord off of an old sander, still had a good plug on it, I frayed the three wires and stripped the ends to show copper.

I asked the classes what would happen if I plugged the cord in and had one of them grab the bare wires on the other end.

They all started laughing and said stuff like, "Duh, get shocked and probably kill you."

Gotta figure there was some brain damage prior to the kid deciding to clip on the wires!!!!

Reminds me of a funny movie..

Cousin Eddy - "That's something ain't it? She falls in a well, eyes go crossed. She gets kicked by a mule, they go back to normal."

Cousin Eddy - "That's something ain't it? She falls in a well, eyes go crossed. She gets kicked by a mule, they go back to normal."

:lol: Best movie ever.

What a wuss, 90 volts!?! Seriously? Ever been hit with a taser? THAT will knock you to the ground! :ph34r:

*Yes, I've been hit with most of the current taser models to include C2, X26, M26 and XREP, and if it didn't teach me anything else, I learned five times is enough no matter what I got out of it! :P

was there a website for the nipple clips?

:lol: Best movie ever.

What a wuss, 90 volts!?! Seriously? Ever been hit with a taser? THAT will knock you to the ground! :ph34r:

*Yes, I've been hit with most of the current taser models to include C2, X26, M26 and XREP, and if it didn't teach me anything else, I learned five times is enough no matter what I got out of it! :P

It's completely different. I've been knocked on by arse by 460v, but only felt pain from 10,000 volts from a taser like arc.

yes, but did you clamp the 460v to your nipples?

I guess you would need 3 nipples to hook yourself up to 460v though, huh?