Sign in to follow this  
BASS

Elk Photos

Went for a little hike on Saturday up by Jones Crossing to get away from camp for a while. Heres what caught my attention first...

IMG_4659.jpg

He was walking around the mountain and would mew once in a while. Just a young guy who was acting like any kid would. He would sprint in a direction, drop his head like he was fighting something and then would walk away before running towards another invisible enemy in another direction. :lol:

Watched him for a while and tried to get closer, but with his game it was hard to judge where he was going. Right before I headed back to camp a couple cow calls sent both of us towards the other ridge looking for who made it. Then a bugle. I laid down in the grass and the little bull I was chasing did a couple quick circles and headed back up the mountain where I first saw him.

So there I laid as about six cows and a smaller bull came down to feed about fifty yards from me. It was getting dark and not wanting to use my flash I opted for leaving the aperture open to gather more light, unfortunately I was shooting off hand and the slight shaking transfered to the photos. So Look at them cross eyed and they may look alright. :lol:

_MG_4693.jpg

_MG_4713.jpg

_MG_4694.jpg

_MG_4696.jpg

_MG_4697.jpg

_MG_4716.jpg

_MG_4717.jpg

_MG_4719.jpg

Sunday nothing was talking at all. I did a couple calf/cow calls after I stepped on a larger stick with a loud *crack!* Sat quiet for a couple minutes, and then had two calves and two cows walked directly in front of me by about thirty yards or so. I was more leary about getting trampled if I startled them being so close that I didn't take many photos and instead had my hand on my pistol, "just in case." :ph34r:

_MG_4761.jpg

_MG_4762.jpg

Thanks for sharing. You need to let them get within 5 yrds before you can get worried. ;)

TJ

Thanks for sharing. You need to let them get within 5 yrds before you can get worried. ;)

TJ

When I was around eight or nine I was hunting with my dad up near 4A, we were taking a rest and I laid down bouncing my foot side to side. A small herd of elk came wandering by and a cow who must have seen the bobbing came right up to my shoe to smell it. It has to be one of the coolest things that ever happen in the field, until I got sneezed on by a calf a few years ago. :lol:

About 15 years or so ago, I was rifle hunting the Kaibab. Found a nice spot and decided to sit and watch for a while. Well, when you wake up at 4AM to go hunting, you get a bit tired ... so you guessed it, I dozed off. Not sure how much later (probably a while) I woke to hear hooves behind me. I turned my head in a kinda funny position and there were several deer behind me, one of which was a smallish buck (all of which I was looking at kinda upside down). Of course, I had no opportunity to do anything but watch as they bounced off after hearing me stir. I felt like a real dope, but looking back on it I have to smile when I think about it.

Kinda similar to your experience BASS ... pretty cool to look back on.

I have a cousin who swears if you hunt javilina down south, you hike to the top of the mountains, and go to sleep for a few hours. He says everytime he wakes up it's time to shoot a pig! Considering he's gotten one every year I guess he's got it right.

Some of my best animal sighting have been while goofing off. Getting into dads pack while he was sleeping and playing with the owl hooter, and crow call, getting up to hike out and seeing a black bear cub run off after coming to see what all the rukas was about. :blink: