sjvcon

Binoculars

Okay ... I'm in the market for some 15x's and want to get the lowdown. I know Swaro's are great, but new are around $2300 or so. I can afford it, but obviously I want the best bang for the buck, and since I don't hunt or guide professionally, there are a lot of other things I can do with the extra cash.

All that said, I'd like to get opinions on the 15x Kaibabs from Vortex, which I've read good reviews on. The 13x and 15X Minox products, which are less expensive than even the Kaibabs. The 15x45 Zeiss Conquest. Leica. Etc. Has anyone done a side by side by side in lower light conditions?

Opinions of what you'd do in my shoes???

I think the Minox are the best bang for the buck, if they fit your eyes. They are a bit bulky.

Stay away from the Zeiss conquest...they are great for a neck glass but on a tripod they dont gather enought light for long distant glassing and early morning and late evening.

The Kiababs are a great glass with a great warrenty.

If you want to pay the extra for the Kiababs I would go with them.

Search the internet for a pair of Optolyth 15x63, they are about as much as the Kiababs.

We have the Optolyth and Swaros and side by side there is not that much of a difference

If you search around on this sight there are a few posts about this with some good info.....you can PM me if you want and I can give you more info.

You can't go wrong with kaibabs. They are good for the money, but the tripod adapter is a little chintzy. Used Zeiss 15x60s may be an option for you too. You want very large objective lenses with 15x. I prefer 50mm on 12's and 56-60 on 15s. Another option I like is the 12x50 vortex razors.

When I compared the Swarovski and Vortex side-by-side, I could tell the difference. Will you be able to? Will it be worth the extra $1070? Only you will be able to tell. I think Vortex products are the "best bang for your buck," but not the best. I don't think you would be disappointed by either choice.

As for the others, I have never looked at the Zeiss and Minox in the field. I think the 45mm objective in the Zeiss is too small for a 15x binocular. I know nothing about Optolyth.

Whichever way you go, make sure you have a good tripod. If it comes down to money, I suggest buying a less expensive binocular and a better tripod since you will never get the full value of any piece of glass without mounting them to a quality tripod.

If you are in Arizona, make the time to go to the Outdoorsmans to check them all out (except the Optolyth) and look at their tripod selection while you're there. If you're not in AZ, check them out on the Internet and give them a call. The guys in there know a ton about optics and actually use them in the field, too!

Your choice should come down to what looks the best to YOUR eyes, what feels the best in YOUR hands and up to YOUR face, and the amount of money YOU feel comfortable spending.

Good luck!

15X Minox is the one that i use and i like them i have had mine for about 5 years.

There are about a half-dozen threads on this topic now. Do a search and see everyone's opinion. You do get what you pay for to a large extent. This much I will say.

I have a pair of Minox 15's and have had great success with them. I did have a warranty issue with them about a year after I bought them. I sent my Bino's back to Minox and they speedely fixed them and sent them back no questions asked. I think the turn around was about 6 weeks from the time I mailed them. Have not had anymore problems with them. I bought mine through Camerland through this site.

Not only is Swarovski customer service and repair and outstanding so is the Outdoorsmans customer service. Last year the day before my coues hunt my tripod blew over slightly knocking my 15's out of collimation. I called swarovski and got my authorization number and then as soon as I hung up with them I called Outdoorsmans. I told them of my situation and they had me set up with a loaner pair of binos and told me to drop off my 15's and they would get them sent off. One week after sending my binos in for the repair they were delivered to my door repaired and fully cleaned free of charge! Whatever binos you choose make sure you look into the service you get from where you buy them. Outdoorsmans cant be beat!

Used Docter 15x60s you should be able to pick up for 5 bills or less. They are a bit bulky compared to Swaros but are excellent glass. I have both and wouldn't hesitate to purchase Docters if I was on a budget. The Vortex Razors are junk IMO. However, I've heard great things about the Vortex Kaibabs. Vortex does has an incredible warranty that extends to used purchased glass.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Checked out Outdoorsman today ... they have the Vortex and the Swaros, but not the Minox ... I guess they are discontinued from what the guy said. Cameraland NY said they are running out ... I guess they are blowing them out for $549. I just have trouble buying something I have not looked through. I need to go do a side by side at dusk at one of the places ... if there isn't much difference I sure like the Vortex price, given that I'm just a sport hunter and not a professional. Kinda like tools ... I'd buy Snap-On if I were a car mechanic, but since I'm not, the Kobalt Line at Lowes will due (yeah I know Snap-On makes them, but they aren't the same).

Minox are leicas low end model and there great. Ross outdoors used to sell them. I bought the Swaro's and love them. It was hard to bite that bullet and spend the money. Give me a call I can get a good deal on Swaro's if you decide.

I'm having the same issue as you. I don't mind spending the money if I know I will get the performance out of it, but I have a hard time paying $1000 more for something for like fractions of difference. The top 3 I am considering are the Minox 15x58, the Kaibabs, and of course the Swarovskis.

I have used the Minox 15x58's. I used them on my pronghorn hunt just a few weeks ago. I borrowed them from a friend. I can tell you that they are big and heavy. I have somewhat of a narrow face and they seemed to work OK for me, but I think the others will probably fit me better. I have also looked through the Swarovski a bit, but never a side by side comparison in the field with either one. Bottom line, the Minox performed well for me, but I don't think they are as clear and bright as my 10's. But they do reach way out there.

If you don't plan on doing extremely long distance glassing for optics, something like a 12X might work for you. I already have some pretty nice 7x35's and some 10x50's so I am mostly in the market for 15's but I am also curious about the 13x Minox binos. I think I called Cameraland about that once and they said the 15's were better by a lot. So take that for what it's worth.

For $499 open box or $549 new for the Minox, I don't think you could go wrong. I've also heard that the Kaibab is a "best buy" for the category, and it's pretty much undisputed that the Swarovskis are the KING. Not sure how well the Leica's with the rangefinder fit in there either, but I bet they do pretty good.

I need to try the Kaibab's before I buy, but I am guessing that's the way I'll end up going.

Ditto what Trent said on the tripod.

Nick

Well CRUD!!!!!

I went and looked through them side by side ... the Swaro's are IT!!! Kaibab's were nice but didn't fit my face near as well. PROBLEM ... today the wife called and said the AC was acting funny ... had my sub go check it and it is OUT. Over a grand in repairs is the estimate. UGH!!! Murphy has struck at the most inopportune time.

Have to think about this a bit. The Swaros were THE BOMB. Still not sure how the Minox would compare in side by side. Have to fix the AC ... but those Swaros are GREAT!!!!

2 years ago i bought some Nikon action EX 10x50, there waterproof and pretty durable. i think they were around 250-300 dollars at sportsmens. Last time i was there couple months ago they still had them. they also have 15x, check them out when you get a chance. there a little cheap but gets the job done.

200"mulie