jeffro

338 EDGE Range Report

The first 3 shots out of the gun went into a .497in group at 200yrds. I just got done shooting some new loads at 500yrds, and they shot 2.75, and 2.90 with 93.0gr and 93.5gr of H-1000 and a 300SMK seated at 3.800. 93gr had an ES of 8fps, and an AVG Vel.of 2847fps. Not the best groups, but the mirage was very bad, and the wind was a bit gusty so Im sure it will do a lot better than this.

A few good pics of the Rifle.

DSC03601.jpg

DSC03598.jpg

DSC03596.jpg

nice set up

SWEET rig. Did Carlock build that for you? Looks like an APS brake as well, how do you like it? Jealous of the setup man, and close to .5 MOA at 500 yards isn't too bad, for the conditions ;). Good luck with her, and keep us posted.

R&D Precision built the barreled action. I did the rest. The brake is the Muscle Brake from Jim See. The brake works great. It kicks, but not bad at all considering its pushing a 300gr at 2847fps. The full build specs are in my first post about the rifle.

Sorry, I must have missed the original thread. I made some assumptions based on the Caliber; Sean Carlock kicks out a ton of those ;) . Big fan of that cartridge, if it were legal to bring down to Mexico I'd probably have one. Congrats again on the rig, your work looks great.

Thats great.

Whats great?

The fact that it is the same story over and over again when it comes to 338 Edges. between 89 and 94 grains of H1000 under the 300 SMK around 2830 FPS with .5 MOA accuracy or better. The typical sweet spot is 92-93 grains. It is a sweet spot for sure. There really is something magical about the 338 Edge, H1000 and the 300 SMK or Berger. It is like a BIG 308 winnie. Easy to tune and super accurate.

There have been 'hot' lot's of H1000 out there. Mine is such a lot#. I can only run 91.5 MAXIMUM before the bolt gets sticky. My accuracy zone is 89.2 to 89.5 grains. Once you perfect your load with some fine tuning and experemntation, something you will find with your edge I am sure is super tight groups at 700+ yards. I personaly know of guys who have shot 1.5" class groups at 700 yards with their edges and I have shot a couple of phenominal 700 yards groups as well with mine including a 1.5 inch 3 shot group.

Also, dont over look the new 300 grain Berger Hybrid. It doesnt have a huge BC advantage over the SMK but it does open up better on game. At least with the comparsion between the mountain goat I shot last November with the SMK and the moose 'pwrguy' shot this month. They have also shot EXTREMELY well in the accuracy department at longrange. The bonus is that at my 300 yard zero, the POI is the same as the SMK so I dont even have to re-sight the rifle.

Congrats on a great rifle and WELCOME to the world of the 338 Edge!

M

308, you aren't helping my wallet any. I was curious to hear how the bergers worked on game in the field. I wonder if anybody is going to come out with other. 338 options. One day I hope to join the edge club.

Thanks 308nut. I didnt do any load del. My first load shot great. I was very happy with the results of the rifle, and at a $1 a shot I didnt want to shoot a bunch of groups at close range just to see what they would do there. I want to shoot 800+.

Hornady will be coming out with a 285gr in 2011 I hear. I want to shoot the Berger, but have been waiting to see if they change it due to the issues they were having with the 300gr. I know the curent bullet would be fine at 2850fps, but I dont want to work a load, and then they change the bullet. The changes are in the works, and the new bullet will have a new BT design, and a longer bearing surface. I guess we will see what they come up with.