Sign in to follow this  
dieselroe

Mule Deer in January

I like to hunt the desert in Jan, and good luck finding a tree big enough for a stand. Either build a blind 40 yds back from a G&F guzzler about 3 weeks before the hunt or try spot and stalk.

try spot and stalk.
It can be a lot of fun in January for Mulies.

lol,

Thanks guys, I don't want your secret tree stand locations. Just a general unit please.

For intance-3c has to much water and to many people.

I'm thinking 27?

The best mullie country in 27 is 6 or 7 feet under snow in january. What area of the state do you live in and how far are you willing to drive??

I like to hunt the desert in Jan, and good luck finding a tree big enough for a stand. Either build a blind 40 yds back from a G&F guzzler about 3 weeks before the hunt or try spot and stalk.

+1

I've seen good mule deer in 32 in January, but bring a fine tooth comb and tweezers because you will be in the cholla and the cholla will be in you. If you're set on using a stand, I don't have much advice for you (because no experience), but sitting a blind or spot and stalk is a great way to go.

Pretty much all the Northern units are closed during the January hunt including the 3's. 4a, & B have a couple weeks open but your best bet if you are planning on going somewhat north is 22,23,& 27 ... It usually is not very hard to find good mule deer in any of the open units in January ... IMHO no need to waste a bunch of gas that time of year looking for big trees to put a stand in ... Just stay close and spot and stalk...