ltd2004

12 a west early hunt help

Hi fellas, i have an early 12 a west rifle tag, 1st one ever. i have been up there for the archery hunt 20 outta the last 21 years so i know the top pretty well. my question is in late october will a majority of the deer/hunters be on top or off the edge. i know it depends on the snow, but based on experence, that time of year where i should start. also is there alot of good areas off the edge for glassing?? thx for the help

Most camps will be one level down from the top shooting spikes and 2 points. Find where most of the camps are and the deer will be there. Good luck on your hunt!

I had the 12w late hunt a few years ago and even in December the big bucks were still on top. There were some deer down low, but most of the big bucks stay high for as long as possible. I ended up killing a 180+ buck at over 8,000 foot elevation on December 2nd. My three buddies all hunting with me killed a 160 and two 170's bucks all up high. Another guy I know had a daughter with a tag and she killed a 190 inch buck up high, and on opening day some guy I don't know killed a giant 240 inch non typical up top. All during the late hunt.

Stay high until you know for sure that the big bucks have moved off the top.

I have a early 12a east rifle tag and ive been up there a couple of times within the past month. Most of the good bucks ive seen happen to be up high and on the west side. :angry: If you are interested I can let you know where i i saw the good bucks on your side

Wow! 20 of the last 20 times archery?

my family has hunted the archery hunt pretty much every year since the mid 70's. i have been up there every archery hunt the last 21 yrs exept one, i havent had a tag every year but been up with family and friends. im not sure how redneck this is but my dad took my mom there on their honeymoon in 77. probably why they are now divorced

The times I have hunted the early hunt, we have got them up on top. As others have mentioned there will be deer down, but I would plan on hunting high unless it really dumps snow............Allen..........

The top if you wanna go where the deer are.

Saw a lot of sign on top this week, up there for only a day, no "live" deer seen. Wow that timber hunting is whole new thing for me, even in the burn it is much different than the "open" country hunting I've done all my life. We have early east side tags.