Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

I've done it!!!

I'm so excited! My 12 year old son and I are going on his Unit 33 deer hunt on thursday and we are packing and getting ready. My 11 year old daughter (there is 18 months between them), who has never had an interest in hunting asked if she could go on a hunt and see if she likes it. I told her she could come on this trip but she is going with mom to Disneyland. I'm going to find her a hunter safety class and get a spring turkey tag for her. I've wanted my girls to hunt with us for years, but they haven't wanted to. I am going to take her dove hunting with us when it opens again. I told my wife it wasn't a waste when I bought 2 youth shotguns and youth 243's........Now to work on the 9 and 7 year olds!!!

Dreams do come true!

just don't push the guts / blood issue too much - girls can be a bit shy of the other aspects of successfull hunting - don't forget squirrel hunting - nothing - i mean nothing gets them excited as chasin squirrels thru the woods and up a tree and then sitting back and shootin 22's -

good luck - gary

I told my girls that I wanted them to try it. If they didn't like it I said I'd never mention it again. They bought that rationale and both had great times hunting. Now they're into "slow food" where even to the left-crowd natural game meat is respectable.

That is so cool. I remember when my daughter started to show interest and asking questions about hunting. There's nothing like watching your kids take there first game. Doesn't matter if its a deer or a squirrel. There excitement is unreal. Make sure to have fun and take lots of pictures.

I've played it cool with her so far. All the kids have helped me clean ducks, dove, quail and chickens we butcher so the blood and guts part doesn't concern me as much as her not wanting to kill anything. I've always told them that meat isn't from a store, its from an animal. So we will see. I told her we will take the safety course together (4th time for me) and go shoot. I have a youth 22 and a 223 and then a rem 600 in 243 with her name on it. The only down side is that I just dropped 400 bucks for new hunting clothes for the boy, and she will need all the same stuff. Kinda reminds me of a Visa commercial. ................................................................................

......... Time spent hunting with your kids, Priceless.