Sign in to follow this  
galiuro mountain man

december hunters

Went out this morning and had a pretty good day. Saw 5 bucks. I was able to get photos of 4 of them. 2 of the 4 were pretty nice bucks. The 5th may have been the best buck of all but I didn't get a photo of him.

This little goomer was basking in the sunshine about a mile out. He was a little 2 point.

080246.JPG

This was his buddy. He wasn't much bigger.

080245.JPG

This buck was pretty nice although it's hard to tell from the photos. I tried to get a friend on this buck but he outran us to his bed.

080244.JPG

This was also a pretty good buck. He was only about 600 yards out compared to 1 mile on the other deer.

080218.JPG

And lastly this is my highly motivated hunting team.

080213.JPG

Maybe tomorrow we'll have some kill shots to post.

Scott

Guest Ernesto C

You are rigth Scott it was a pretty good day,hold on becuase its going to get better,just by looking at the pictures.....I wish I can be out there. God bless you.

Ernesto C

Hey Scott,

That short one in the bottom looks familiar. he he

I'm having a terrible time trying to get rid of this cold or flu whatever it is that's kicking my butt :lol: . As you can see in Scott's pic I didn't make much for hunting partner. :(

Hopefully I can get better by the weekend.

Nice pix Scotty!!!

I see Tommy has his typical "prone" pose........LOL........hope you guys get on some good ones...........Tommy, that flu/cold stuff is going around and it kicked my butt for a couple weeks. Hope you get over it .........AT.......

I broke down and went to see the Doc. Got some new horse pills that hopefully will help. I doubt i'll be able to hunt with Scott this weekend I really need to get well before I make it worse. It looks like Scott has plenty of "energetic" help anyway. he he

Allen ...if I knew Scott was going to take my pic I would have turned to my good side. :lol: .

I bet they drew blood today.

We had another good day today. Yesterday it was 16 degrees, it was a little warmer this morning with a 22 degree reading on the thermometer. Beautiful morning, clear, cold and no wind. We glassed up 3 Coues bucks. One was pushing the magical 100 inch mark. One of our hunting party whom I'll refer to as "the kid" decided it was a big enough buck for him. He threw a textbook stalk on the big ole buck and blew it! Missed twice at 280 yards, and the buck lives to see another day. We're having a great time. Seeing an unusually high number of bucks for 27. Wish you were here Tommy. And Ernesto...you'd love it, and God bless you!!

I glassed up this nice buck bedded out in the open in some grass just before sunrise.

080358.JPG

Later he went a few rounds with an underweight contender and flexed his muscles a bit. A few minutes later "the kid" scattered 'em like quail!

080360.JPG

Guest Ernesto C

Hey Scott it looks like if the "kid" does not have the flu like crazyaboutcoues but he does have "deer fever" :D Hunting is the BEST MEDICINE for that so he and crazyaboutcoues will do and get better ;) Blessings.

Ernesto C.

P.S. Hey Scott,take a really good look at the background of picture of your "highly motivated team" tell them that while they were sleeping there was a buck watching them :D .........(just kidding)

I just got back from the range and "the kid" checked his gun. Turns out it was shooting 8 inches high at a hundred yards :D . "The kid" probably shot right over the bucks back. He's ready now.

Scott

Amanda,

You are one special lady!

But, you know what? Get a tent!!

I don't know what you are using for a pad, but before I started carrying a 3" foam pad, I used one of those little, thin backpacker pads, and after a few miserable cold nights I would then pull up all of the grass and other soft plants in camp and place them under my whimpy pad and bag for added insulation. One time I had the foresight to take a small tarp - because of a forecasted storm - rolled by bag up in it like a burrito, and woke up to 5" of wet snow. And I was camped low in unit 21 down in the sagauros!

Once while in my mid 20's, I was working in a grocery store in Flagstaff when I saw Otis Baker (Otis is Flagtown's granddaddy hunter, who has the respect of all). I was complaining to him that I had a 6B Spring Turkey tag and that the deep snow throughout the unit was gonna keep me from getting into just about anywhere. Otis was in his early 70's at the time and still an active hound dog man. He looked me up and down and then he said, "A young fella like you ought to be able to hike in to anyplace in any unit you could ever want to go."

OUCH! But I realized he was absolutely right. And I did. And I still do. and I still will just as long as I am able.

It's OK with me that the masses hunt little walks from their trucks and quads. They just don't know how fantastic it all can be. Leaves more country for crazy people like us.

Thanks for the pics. They speak volumes about your character, drive and passion - and makes me want to get out again ASAP!

Mike

Hey Scott nice pictures I am heading out to unit 27 on the 19th for archery. Did not get a rifle tag this year. I live in pinetop, it is not as close as you but still close enough to scout a lot. Those bino's look big in the bottom picture what kind are they if you dont mind me asking? According to your article I hunt not too far from you in 27, and I also have a honey hole in the blue.

Hey 300, those big binocs are 30x80 Docters. A real pain in the back to pack, but man can you reach out and spot the Coues deer with them.

If you get down Morenci way look me up. My number's in the book.

Scott

Guest firstcoueswas80

hey scott, "the kid" wouldnt happen to be you right? how do you get this tag 2 years in a row?

casey good luck, im going to 36b where i killed my buck this year to have a look around on my day off with my best buddy, should be fun