Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

CO Antelope

Lark wanted me to post this for him:

Got back from Colorado yesterday. Sort of a whirlwind trip. Luckily the goats co-operated. Got 3 the first day and one the third morning. Kind of a hard hunt. Had to do a lot of walking. But goats were available for the unlazy. Got home about noon and have been at the hospital pretty much since. Granddaughter is doing better. Started her off the paralyzing part of the sedati0on today and hope to take out the breathing tube in the morning. Poor little baby doesn’t have room for anymore tubes or hoses or wires. Really been a scary deal. felt like a jackass the whole time I was in Colorado, for leaving. But my daughter raised heck when we said we weren’t going, because she wanted an antelope in the freezer. Her father in law went with us and used her husband’s voucher. (totally legal) anyway, here is a photo. I made another of my patented shots with my .270. goat was running at me at 265 yards. Drilled him in the soft spot where the windpipe goes into the chest. I am such a good shot it is scary. Just can’t miss. We got 2 a little over 15 inches, mid to high 70’s. one 14 ½ incher, scores about 72 and one pretty small. Had a blast. Lark.

post-1-1286638862_thumb.jpg

They have dry land turtles in Colorado. This one was eating the gut pile from the goat my son, Gunner, shot the day before.

post-1-1286638879_thumb.jpg

i wore stripes a lot when i was younger, but not that young. that's Gunner's boy, Orion. how'd ya like that gut eatin' turtle? any o' you guys that want to hunt goats, but can't get an Az. tag, like everbody else, ought look at colorado. it's a little expensive and access to private land can be sorta hard to figger out. this unit had a BGAP area. Big Game Access Program. had about 35,000 acres of private land that hunters had walk in access too. cost $40 extra for the access permit. but there were a lotta goats in the interior of it and very few folks wandered into it. they mostly just drove around the edge. we bought the landowner vouchers for $70 each. you still have to pay the state or the license after that. a lot of places want up to a grand for a voucher. most are $250 to $750, so we felt fortunate to find these. and we got some of the biggest goats we've ever shot in colorado. you'd be hard pressed to shoot em any bigger in Az. got the last one cut up and in the freezer today. cooked up all the necks in a slow cooker and are gonna have goat neck enchiladas tomorrow. also made a big batch o' goat jerky this morning. good stuff. the place we hunted is 800 miles from creen queek. it's lotsa fun. ya best look into it. Lark.

we did have a lot of fun, bill. i'm the good lookin' guy in the green shirt on the far left. holding the gigantic goat head. on my left is my youngest son, Bridger. on his left is my oldest son, Gunner, and on his left is my son in law's dad, Carl. Lark.

Great job on the goats! Good family fun right there and some good eats to boot! ;)

Oh, and that is cool with the turtle on the gut pile!!

You took a fine pronghorn, Lark, but I really like the curl on the head your son-in-law's father is holding. Congratulations to all of you.

Bill Quimby

carl's goat did have really pretty horns. the classic heart shaped curl everbuddy talks about. mine scores about an inch more. mine is around 78 and his is about 77. really nice bucks for anywhere really, but for colorado they are exceptional. we saw a game warden that couldn't believe we got 3 goats over 14 inches. said he saw very few 14 inchers, must less 15 inchers. if a guy gets off the road and walks a little, good things happen. ya'll best get out the outta state info and go next year. it's too close to Az and too easy to do, to not go. poor carl, he really takes care of his truck. i think he's gonna sell it after 5 days of us fartin' in it and eatin' sardines and spillin' em and gettin' in with guts on our shoes, etc. and the bed had goat blood and little goat tunds all over in it. i only had like 14000 miles when we left and we put about 3000 more on it while we were gone. Lark.

nice antelopes!