Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

badger

I was out this weekend scouting and walked up onon a spring about 6 in the morning when out of the corner of my eye I saw something runnin. it scared the heck out of me and when I turned a dang ole badger ran about 2 feet in front of me then stopped and looked right at me I kicked some dirt and said get out of here and off he went. thats only the second badger i have ever seen and dont want to come up on one like that again :rolleyes: I never thought to shoot him but I guess its not against the rules to do so. i just havent seen to many and dont wanna go killin em :lol:

I saw two last month. One in a prairie dog town in unit 2. I tryed to kill him, he made a hole before I got my .223 out of the case though, I always wanted a badger pelt. I also saw another one in unit 12 in New Mexico, strangely enough in another prairie dog town. I didn't try to kill him because I wasn't sure if it was legal in NM to do so or not. They are pretty neat little creatures, they must wreak havoc on them prairie dogs though.

Bret M.

I used to have badgers come to my calls from time to time when I did a lot of varmint calling a hundred years ago. They are persistant critters when they think there's fresh meat to eat, and I'm not sure what a couple of them might have done to me if I hadn't shot them first.

Except for one I saw three weeks ago all were adults. This recent one, though, was not much larger than a big cottontail. It was running down a two-track trail and we chased it for 30-40 yards with my truck before it ran off. It looked cute and cuddly but there's no way I'd pick it up even if I could catch it.

A wolverine I shot in the Northwest Territories on a caribou hunt a dozen years ago reminded me of a badger, only it was much larger.

Bill Quimby

My brother hit one with his truck in Queen Creek about a year ago, he took the pelt to a taxidermy, dont know if he ever got it back.

A little off the subject here but have any of you ever tried tanning your own hides using the indian boiled brain method? Tried it myself on a deer hide years ago, didn't turn out that great.

badgers? we don' need no stinkin' badgers!!! sorry, i couldn't help myself. i called in a badger once with a vermin call. i've seen many over the years. even chased one down and killed it with a rock once. used to have heck with em on my ol' man's farm. got a tractor stuck in a cotton field in a badger hole once. interesting little critters for sure. not near as dangerous as folks would have ya believe. they can outdig a backhoe if they're scared. as far as brain tanning, it takes a lot of work after it's cured. you can't just tan it and leave it at that. takes hours of working to soften the hide. did you do it hair on or off? brain tan is mainly for hair off. when i was a kid i helped my dad make deer hide riatas. it was a lotta work de-hairing the hides, tanning and softening them and then cutting them into strips and braiding it. Lark.