Sign in to follow this  
cactusjack

Hunting on Camp Navajo

I thought drawing an Any Elk tag for the Disabled Veterans hunt was a lucky thing, boy was I wrong. I have hunted that hunt 4 times earlier, 2 with bull tags and 2 with cow tags and have had a good time. I have read the disclaimer that the Post (Camp Navajo) can close the hunt for any reason if they need to, but based on past hunts wasn't worried. Well, things have changed on the Post, new Commander, more training and there was a little thing called 5 or 6 tornadoes that pounded part of the base. I called after the tornadoes hit to see if the hunt was canceled, but was told things would be just fine. I kept planning, spending the mandatory $1000.00 at Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsman and local shops too, my buddy from Vegas still had plans to meet me there.

Thursday, I took off from work early to get up there in time to see all the people on the Post and make sure everything was good to go. Things went from great, to good, to bad, to worse, to why are we all here. I will save all the details, but we ended up with a 2 square mile area with 28 Disabled Vets hunting with rifles! (for of you that know the post, they had us in the East buffer area south of Tappen Spings to Gate 14) It was like a Singles Club outside of a Military training base, all hunters no game. The manager of the hunting program was blindsided by all the events that were changed and handed to him to give to us. He didn't know about all the closers until thursday afternoon. Most of the hunters are already home, not one animal was shot in the first 3 days. No elk were even in that area, we saw a couple great groups of mule deer. I left last night, I didn't want to waste all my vacation up there.

I'm not mad that I didn't get an elk. I understand that the tornadoes were not planned but the other events that were planned by the Army (NCO of the Year games and Security small arms qualifying) during the Veterans hunt show a disregard for us. I'm upset with the loss of my 5 bonus points, the fact that I didn't get to hunt, loss of time, wasting the time of my buddy from Vegas, the $ I spent, the wasted vacation time, and the list goes on.

Camp Navajo has their hunting policies posted and they have in the first rule this "The intent of the Camp Navajo (CN) hunt program is to provide all sportsmen with a quality hunting experience." Well I would say, and I'm willing to say the other 27 hunters would agree, that they missed the target.

Just warning those who are planning to put in on the Post, things have changed. Be warned.

Sorry for all the disabled veterans ond how this hunt turned out for them and you .

Some kinda seen this comin - when you have commanders and heads of departments that are not hunters - that just about sums it up.

from all the details not posted - Camp Navajo-big boys in charge- did everything to prevent these hunters from hunting!

Of all the hunts to total destroy - why this group - who probably deserve to hunt -- more so than any others-

Sorry buddy - gary

I would say that the disable veterans hunt should start somewhere around Sept. 15th. They should be able to use a bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, rifle, machine gun, hand grenades....whatever they want.

I had a buddy that had a cow tag during a muzzy hunt up there last week, got hosed just like you...too bad. Hopefully they will get the right person in charge of the hunts soon.

If these hunts go away it will be sad. I will not be playing anymore, but I have some great stories of Vets who would not have had the chance. The one that made the biggest impression on me was a Desert Storm Vet who lost his vision in the Gulf. His dad was with him and they had a rifle set up with the scope really high rings. They sat with the Vet in position and the dad lined up the shot. When the elk (I can't remember if it was a cow or a bull but it didn't matter much at the time) was in the cross hairs the dad tapped the shooter on the shoulder. One shot, one kill, one soldier who gave his site to his country with a huge smile on his face.

Thats horrible. Sorry to hear about the bad turn of events.