Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

12a/12b

Attention fall 2005 deer hunters in Units 12A/12B

Wildlife News

October 21, 2005

This year the Arizona Game and Fish Commission authorized 12A and 12B deer hunters for hunts 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1017, 1018, and 1019 to purchase a Population Management buffalo and/or elk tag for the same area and same period as their deer hunt.

On Wednesday, Oct. 19, Arizona Game and Fish Department biologists conducted a survey flight over several locations on the Kaibab plateau, including most west side points, the House Rock Wildlife Area, Marble View and the boundary between Grand Canyon National Park and the Kaibab National Forest. No buffalo or elk were observed on these flights.

Elk numbers are extremely low on the Kaibab plateau and most or all of the buffalo have moved onto Grand Canyon National Park where no hunting is allowed.

It is highly likely that no elk or buffalo will be available to hunters for these population management hunts.

An additional survey flight will take place approximately Nov. 9 and another update will be available shortly thereafter.

For additional information, contact the department?s Flagstaff regional office at (928)774-5045.

E-mail this article

Printer friendly page

Search the newsroom

Related AZGFD Info

- Attention fall 2005 deer hunters in Units 12A/12B

- Arizona Game and Fish Department 2006 Wildlife Calendar on sale now

- Wildlife News - Oct. 12

- Reminder: Spring hunt application deadline is Oct. 11

- Wildlife News - Sept. 30

? 2005 AZGFD Mission | Comments | Privacy Policy | Employment | Commission Agenda | Agency Directory | Site Map

That's odd they would post something like that. Normally they're trying to sell as many tags as they can ...even if there isn't any deer to hunt they're still pumping out the tags. Seems like they'd love the opportunity to sell as many of those elk and buff tags as they could. Hmmm...

Maybe they found more than expected and don't want people going in lookin' too close. Maybe they screwed up and are just realizing it.

Donnie+

Josh, that was the first thing I thought too, with all the tags up there they would make a ton of money on people that would just want the chance, figure that most non-residents putting in for up there would buy the extra tags as a precaution.

The funny thing is they would buy those tags and not get the lion tag, the azgfd must not have went to their (how to sell) meeting.

The letter I recieved in the mail didn't say anything about the Elk/Buff population being low. If a non-res has never been in 12A/12B they probably think there's a good population of them. I think G&F wanted to inform the non-residents with this notice that there's very few Elk/Buff up on the BAB.....So after the season when the non-res complain about not seeing any Elk/ Buff the G&F can say they warned them. G&F got as many sales as they could before putting out this notice. They got all the money they needed.....warned the public after the majority of non-res bought there elk/buff tag, and now they have a very slim chance at harvesting either.

Yea, that is unreal! THOSE MONEY HUNGRY THIEFS OF A GAME AND FISH are actually trying to convince hunters not to buy those tags. Just like Josh said there ARENT ANY DEER and there still pumping out the tags(CAUSE the truth is all they really care about is the $$$$$) I hate them for what they are doing to the elk herds in certain units and the deer for sure----pretty much state wide! The Kaibab deer numbers are at an all time low!!! and they still give so many dang tags away and, still keep wiping out the does with that dang junior hunt! The Arizona Game and Fish have truly stopped managing our wildlife, and are only taking our money! Something has to be done about them and the number of permits they give cause, they are doing the same exact thing in Units 3a 3c with the number of elk tags(COW). And our hunting in the state is going straight down the DRAIN!>

Check this out on Game and Fish dept.

Go to hunting and fishing click on hunting..then go hunting reports and click on 12B this is what it says

Species Information back to top

Elk and Buffalo

New In 2005, the Arizona Game and Fish Commission implemented new rules that will allow hunters who were successful in drawing a 12B or 12BW deer tag to purchase an elk tag for use during their deer hunt, within the same hunt unit as their deer tag. There are no buffalo tags allotted for the 12B or 12BW hunts. Please contact any department office for additional information or to purchase an elk tag.

If I had a Kaibab tag, I would not waste one minute of my deer hunt chasing a beefalo or elk.

Amen DesertBull!

Sounds to me like the Department is going out of their way to let the public know that the animals may not be there now and are even going to make the effort to do another survey too, to provide their customers (you complainers) another update. Additionally, last time I checked, animals such as elk and buffalo tend to move around. And finally, these are "limited population" opportunities. That means purchasing a tag is a gamble. I'll bet the folks that purchased a tag did it on their own free will, don't you???? If you really think that the Game Deartment didn't give a crap and only wanted your money, why would they spend valuable time and resources to give the sportsmen the latest information? Come on! There's bigger issues out there.

c-1