Sign in to follow this  
WHALE

Stripping and revaning arrows

I have decided to try putting new vanes on some of my carbon arrows that have damaged vanes. Any advice on stripping them and putting the new vanes on would be great. During the stripping process is it normal to get a little carbon splinters? That does not seem to be a good thing but wonder if the new glue will seal this. Thanks

Some of the glues the manufacturers use comes right off if you pull on the vane right without it ripping. I use a razor blade knife, first holding the blade almost flat to the shaft I slice through the plastic leaving a fraction of the plastic and glue on; then I hold the blade perpendicular to the shaft and run it back and forth scoring and tearing the rest of the glue and plastic off.

You could try acetone too if there is still residue left.

Buy wraps! I wrap the shaft then refletch - the next time you need to replace the vanes you just pull the wrapping off and it is as good as new, no knives or glue reside on the carbon.

I usually keep my clothes on when fletching arrows.

No way! Revaning without stripping first is such a rookie mistake! If you haven't ever tried it, I can tell you it changes the whole experience! :ph34r: :blink: :lol:

Cleaned off the old vanes and glue. Installed the new vanes using the Arizona jig and they flew perfect(all with me clothes on :P ). I will try the wraps on the next set.

Some of the glues the manufacturers use comes right off if you pull on the vane right without it ripping. I use a razor blade knife, first holding the blade almost flat to the shaft I slice through the plastic leaving a fraction of the plastic and glue on; then I hold the blade perpendicular to the shaft and run it back and forth scoring and tearing the rest of the glue and plastic off.

You could try acetone too if there is still residue left.

Buy wraps! I wrap the shaft then refletch - the next time you need to replace the vanes you just pull the wrapping off and it is as good as new, no knives or glue reside on the carbon.

+1

dont forget to put a lil dot of glue on both ends of the fletch when your done.... great advice SBD,, wraps save tons of time....

are you using the new min aae jig...

My father-in-law has stripped and vaned his arrows for years, has 3 or 4 different jigs, etc. He tried those shrink wrap quick-fletch vanes and now says he'll never go back. Too quick, too perfect, every time. His $.02.

My father-in-law has stripped and vaned his arrows for years, has 3 or 4 different jigs, etc. He tried those shrink wrap quick-fletch vanes and now says he'll never go back. Too quick, too perfect, every time. His $.02.

not saying hes wrong or anything but how much does he shoot and wat kind of rest?

my family decided to try them out this summer and found that with the wisker buiscet they will pull off after about 20 shots. and that when shooting a faster bow (mine shooting 321) on a pass threw a bag target they also came off. and the ones that didnt come off that way lossend up and started to slip after about 100 shots.

personaly i use the wraps and the bitzenburger jig to fletch and when i go to reflech i dip the arows in boiling water and the wrap will come off real easly.

just throwing my experience out there

He tried those shrink wrap quick-fletch vanes and now says he'll never go back. Too quick, too perfect, every time. His $.02.

I can't see spending $29.99 to fletch 12 arrows when I can buy 50 quikspin vanes for $19 and fletch the conventioal way. The quickfletch is a great idea but they are way to expensive IMHO.