i bought a rem .300 ultra mag and need some advise pros and cons about installing a muzzel brake.who has one and who likes and dislikes it and who and where did you get it,advice needed

thanks bryan

Does the rifle have a good recoil pad like a Pachmeyer Decelerator or Sims? If not, that would be the first modification before shooting. I would try shooting the rifle with those pads before deciding if a eargesplittenloudenmaker is installed.

My friend has brakes on three of his rifles and we both like the recoil reduction, but I disdain the muzzle bast and noise. Another friend shot a 300 Win Mag with a brake, 4 times at a bear without wearing ear plugs, and his ears rang for a month (ie hearing loss).

I have heard of reports citing that even with plugs and muffs, those brakes can cause hearing damage. My friend thinks I'm crazy for wearing both, but I already have ringing in my ears.

If you do decide on a brake, the Vias is the one to get.

RR

I own a .300 weatherby with a brake on it.its great for recoil reduction but watch out for the muzzle blast. I get put all by myself at the rifle range because of it. I don't mind shooting it though. it kicks like .270 or .30-06 which isn't too bad.

Wade

Knowing I would be hunting a lion I borrowed a .416 Weatherby with a muzzle brake for a trip to Zambia in 1994 and shot it perhaps 15 or 20 times here at home to get to know the rifle and its recoil. By the time I reached Zambia I felt very confident I could blow away anything out to 300 yards with that rifle. Its felt recoil was a bit more than my .300 Win Mag but considerably less than my .375 and .458.

The first thing my PH demanded, though, was that I remove the brake. He didn't want his ears or those of his trackers to be blown away. (The blast and noise to the sides and behind the shooter are awesome.) That rifle slammed me from here to Sunday without the brake, but it did upend my 500-pound-plus lion.

A muzzle brake certainly does reduce felt recoil a bunch but my question is why do you need a brake on a .300 WSM? Isn't its recoil similar to a .300 Win Mag or a .300 Weatherby?

BQ

I have the Browning a-bolt with the BOSS system chambered in .300win mag. I have added the SIMS recoil pad to help with the recoil. I can go out and shoot this gun 50 times in a session at the range with no problem. I am even using handloads that are pretty hot. I do recommend using earplugs and muffs when shooting a gun with the muzzlebreak under the metal roof out there at Ben Avery. Plus the people shooting next to you might want to do the same. The first time I ever shot this gun was out in the desert with no ear protection. My buddy that was behind me about 30 feet said that the trees moved next to me when the gun went off. Plus I had a headache for about two hours. Add the muzzlebreak if you want to cut down on the recoil. David

I seriously considered adding a brake to my 300 win mag, but many of my shots are from a prone position. The brake is LOUD and the gas charges out the ports so loose dirt and debris flys up everywhere too. It would be hard to take a 2nd shot if need be when you got sand in your eyes.

I passed on the brake and put on a Pachmeyer recoil pad.

my .02 worth

the gun has a good pad on it, i was talking to a guy at magnum precision gunsmithing and its close to work has anyone ever used them?i going to have the brake installed and a trigger job at the same time.

I would get a removeable brake. Use it while sighting in and practicing, where you would normally be wearing hearing protection, and recoil is felt more, then remove it for hunting.

Hey ULTRAMAG What is that work gonna run you? Actually I am intrested in the trigger work. My trigger is pretty bad! Funny how you think your own "stuff" is pretty good untill you shoot some one elses rifle!

:P

Another pad you should consider is called "Shooter's Friend". Cabela's has them for about $20. I have one on all my rifles and just love it.