Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Desert Mulies

My boy drew the 42 Jr hunt and I would like to get him one, or at least let him see enough each day to stay excited. I'm torn between if my boy would do best the up on a hill glassing then spot/stalking and potentially see more deer (with a lot more walking/climbing) versus would he have the patience to sit in a blind ALL DAY, limiting ourselves to one little spot probably seeing less deer but any buck that does show up would be within shooting range. Even I wonder if I can sit that long. Personally I glass but know that if I just sat a tank/guzzler I'd probably eventually, many boring hours later get my shot. I just got back from a 1.5 day trip in some new areas and it wasn't promising. I'm leaning on focusing on my usual spots even though the deer numbers are low and have been tough to find or stalk during season. I recognize that we won't be hunting like I hunt when by myself - walking anywhere and climbing any hill, I have to keep it at his capability. This Jr hunt is a first for him and me and I think if he can fill his tag (not picky) he'll be hooked. If he ends up being miserable and not seeing anything he may not be so pumped to go next time. I want him to enjoy the experience even if he doesn't knock one down. We have 4 days to hunt. What works for you guys with your kids?

A huge concern for me too. I will be in the same situation in a few years. I'm thinking more in the lines of a Javelina hunt first. Something close to home within areas I'm very familiar with.

Maybe you should mix it up. Blind hunting for a few hours in the morning or late afternoon, walk the flats another morning, glass a different day, etc. Anything to keep him interested.

Good luck!

I would glass, glass, glass. There has been alot of rain everywhere recently and water is for the most part everywhere. If you sit a water hole, you may not see anything at all. If you glass you are bound to see something, and that will get the blood going. I would glass, walk, glass, walk, etc etc. Not only will it keep his attention, but I think it will give you the best opportunity for getting a deer.

I would say mix it up with him. Get into an area that you are seeing sign and get up high and glass..after a few hours of that you can maybe take him on a hike. During the evening try sitting the water and see how he likes it, if its boring for him i suggest doing something different. Also find other things he likes to do so during the middle of the day you can keep it fun for him...riding quads...card games...horseshoes?? Good luck on the hunt!

Tough hunt, these storms have the deer scattered all over. I have a friend that has hunted this unit for over 40 years and scouting for his family has really had to work to find deer - and he is the deer whisperer, he gets on monsters every year. I will be helping a young man on this hunt too and my plan based on feedback from the other friend is to cover as much terrain as possible, glassing when the opportunity arises. One of the problems with this hunt is the general hunt runs first, so when the kids get in the unit the deer have been pressured pretty hard.

This is, or used to be, a good unit. Both of my daughters had chances at 180+ bucks over the years I had them out there on this hunt. The bucks were big enough I wanted to grab the gun from them. The big bucks will feed on the slopes and bed down out in the creosote flats - good luck getting them out of there.

Tough hunt, these storms have the deer scattered all over. I have a friend that has hunted this unit for over 40 years and scouting for his family has really had to work to find deer - and he is the deer whisperer, he gets on monsters every year. I will be helping a young man on this hunt too and my plan based on feedback from the other friend is to cover as much terrain as possible, glassing when the opportunity arises. One of the problems with this hunt is the general hunt runs first, so when the kids get in the unit the deer have been pressured pretty hard.

This is, or used to be, a good unit. Both of my daughters had chances at 180+ bucks over the years I had them out there on this hunt. The bucks were big enough I wanted to grab the gun from them. The big bucks will feed on the slopes and bed down out in the creosote flats - good luck getting them out of there.

Sounds like your talking about Bruce,lol. good guy

I don't know that unit but my experience with jr hunts is that they are typically in units that hold good deer. We never had a problem finding deer in any of the jr units we hunted. I say glass a lot, walk a little, glass some more. Unless you son is different than most, sitting for long periods on water will probably bore him. You will likely see more animals glassing than sitting water and just seeing the animals will keep him motivated, at least that is what I found on the jr hunts with the kids I have taken.

Thanks guys,

I wanted to make it to the jr camp to try and learn from guys first hand but we can't head up till the 21st so we may miss it. My normal spots are pretty far from the Jr camp area. The deer are spread out right now and a lot of dirt tanks and wells are dry. I didn't see much sign and didn't pick anything up glassing. We may end up hitting my normal spots just cause I know the area and some of their general habits better than a brand new area. I think we'll mix it up a little, with glassing primary and if we can find some heavy sign near tanks then maybe sit one off and on. Going in thinking we'll hunt the first and last 3-4 hours of the day and hit the truck for a movie, phone game recharge etc mid day. These desert deer are tough and frustrating. Last year I had 2 groups patterned pretty good hitting a couple different tanks, then it rained and poof they were gone when the hunt came around. 6 days and 2 deer seen - too far away to even justify climbing off the hills i climbed. Its hard to have fun with those results. Right place right time is never more applicable than in the desert IMO.

I just got back from scouting 42 for the upcoming jr hunt and so far between 2 trips ive seen 10 deer and all were does. I have seen almost all my deer within 300yds of water. Ive hunted this unit for 15 years and i think this is the worst ive seen it. Good luck on your hunt and maybe i will run into you out there?

As one of the other members posted, its a lot tougher than the other Jr hunts due to the general season running 2 weeks before the Jr. My daughter had a tag in there the last 2 years, and in 08 she took a 3x3, and last year I scouted for her before the general season and saw plenty of deer and some bucks, but once her hunt arrived they were gone due to the general hunt. We did eventually on the last day glass a group of 5 bucks running together and she had one standing broadside at 350, but it was too far for her.

She dosent like all the hiking but really likes glassing for deer, we have done that for both the morning and evening , then during lunch since everything is so close we hit Wickenburg for some chow. She has a tag this year also and I have been watching a group of bucks, but I probably wont be back in there scouting until after the general, and see what they do.

Just curious how everyone's scouting is coming. I've found good fresh sign in some of my old spots but haven't turned up any on the hoof in my last 2 outings. I'll be out again glassing next week. Any success on the general tags?

Ryan,

I had the same dilema this weekend with my 11 year old daughter. We spent several hours sitting a tank that we could glass from. We had some activity with deer and turkeys that helped break up the day, but we also played hangman and tic tac toe in the dirt (she kicked my butt, by the way). I think you be suprised at how well your son will do.

Kevin

I did buy him a cheaper set of 10x42 binos so he can actually glass with me. He will have my phone and a PSP to play games and a dvd player back at the truck. Last time he tagged along I packed a couple books for him and that helped too. He's been running or walking on the treadmill and is getting excited. I think he'll be fine.

Well I have been helping out a few of my friends the last 6 days of the 42 gen hunt and doing scouting for my daughters Jr hunt in there as well. Opening morning we glassed up 5 bucks, nothing bigger thatn a 2x2. The second morning 4 more bucks, one little fork and the rest spikes. The third day a decent 3x4 and a 2x2, but a failed stalk. On tuesday went to my honey hole I was saving for my daughter, and helped my friend take his first buck ever. This was his first ever deer hunt. A small 3x4, but he had a blast and learned tons. Glassed him up at 1300 yds and closed the distance to 230 when he took the shot. Good luck on the Jr hunt.

post-2764-1289444197_thumb.jpg