Sign in to follow this  
rogeti

2010 Last Day

I think I am on a lucky streak for my coues hunting. After heading back to camp last year and shooting my buck right at last shooting light, it happened again. I had parked my truck where there had been a city of tents and trailers all weekend. I left at 6 yesterday morning to head to a new area, because I just stopped seeing deer in the area i was hunting. After taking the wrong road i ended up at a pond, so i headed up the ridge and made it above the pond when 3 small bucks and a doe came down the opposing ridge. they were at about 125 yards. I watched them for 30 min as they sparred and chased each other around. I was very tempted to take a shot at the biggest of the 3 bucks, and he was only a small 3 X 2. They finally left and i stayed went up the ridge and saw another spike. I was feeling good about this new place. i stayed til 5 and saw only 4 does.(My headlights are out on my 4 wheeler) :(

So i left outta there in hopes to catch a buck crossing or just anything. After i got on the main road i took off and a pretty fast pace. I figured i wouldnt see anything( and a new episode of The Office was coming on at 8) and i was atleast an hour from town. So was haulin down the road and i missed the first turnoff to my little camp spot where my truck was parked. i went about 25 yards and i looked to my right and there stands a deer and its a buck( A good buck) so i look straight and then it hits me that was a deer i could shoot. So i finally got the 4 wheeler stopped and i tried to get my gun out of the scabbard. I pulled and pulled then finally it gave loose. I got off the road and there the buck stands at maybe 30-40 yards broadside. i pull up and look and i make sure he is not a mule deer. i shoot my .22-250 and the deer rears back like a horse and takes off and makes a loop so i shoot again and miss. it is almost dark and im thinking dang i need to get my flash light. but everything happened so fast i just took off towards the way deer was running. i made it to the treeline and there he lays in the weeds. I made a great shot right through the lungs. Literally this deer was less than 100 yards from my truck. if i were to shoot from my truck it would have been 100 yards. we scored him last night and was at 90 1/2. I hike my butt off and this is how it ends up 2 years in a row!!!!

post-3780-1288400618_thumb.jpg

post-3780-1288398566_thumb.jpg

great buck+great shot= great kill

doesnt get much better than that for a last hour last day of the hunt congrats

He looks like he has some pretty good mass - what are the circumference measurements?

He was pretty symmetrical on both sides, so the the first was 4, then , 3.75, then 3