Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

Is tihs a Big Black Bear?

Nice pics are those yours? A friend got these pics while I loaned him my camera. I think it is the same tank and bear.

post-3109-1290644609_thumb.jpg

post-3109-1290644656_thumb.jpg

It is hard to tell based on the ears alone because you need more of a frontal look so you can see how far from the center of his head they are and how big or little they are compared to his whole head. When you have the profile of one ear against the background, it can be very decieving. However, the fact that his legs appear long due to the very high ground clearence of this bear indicates that he is a smaller, imature bear. When his body fills out to the point that his legs look shorter, he will be a better bear. His legs will appear shorter because his belly will be near the ground.

that looks like a pretty good bear to me. he ain't a 400 pounder, but he has big feet and fair sized head. pretty broad across the butt and across the shoulders. most of the big old bears i've seen in Az are built a lot like that. the seem to have a lot of air under em, long legged and sorta lanky. they are the ones that wear your hounds out because they never stop runnin'. i haven't seen a lot of Alaska bears, but the ones i have seen are built a little different than these southern cousins. bears are built a lot like man. they have a sorta flat chest, instead of a deep chest like deer and other ungulates. their front legs are fairly far apart. picture a man on has hands and knees, and that's about how a bear is, only with more hair. it's hard to say about big his skull is, which is what matters for the book, but he looks like a good sized bear. a friend of mine shot one of the biggest bears i've ever seen a couple years ago up on the navajo rez. definitley over 400. i mean it was big. and it didn't make the book. but it was a giant of a bear. Lark.