Sign in to follow this  
Guest 300ultramag.

one of my best hunts yet!!!

Guest 300ultramag.

one week away from my hunt!!! went to do some final scouting procedures (40 miles from my house)...when I get the binos out... I noticed something was missing.. the little sleeve that connects the binos to the tripod adapter is MIA! I know vortex has a great warranty... but im one week out.. and im F'd

does anyone happen to have an extra one... i have the vortex 10x42 diamond backs... or possibly access to a pair will be sitting on a shelf... that i could borrow the sleeve from for a few days..

its the double sided female sleev that receives the male bino bolt and the male tripod adapter bolt..

let me know...

I believe I have the same adapter as you are refering to and am willing to loan it out. I am in Phx. If you do have the Vortex Unidapter it can be used without the sleeve, the post that attaches to the binos has a 1/4- 20 thread in the bottom and will attach directly to your tripod. Let me know?

Guest 300ultramag.

im in mesa as of now.. so that could definitly work.. i appreciate it.. ill pm you with my #... and what day you could meet up i know the holiday is coming up so id like to do it asap!! thanks again

beau

You could try the hardware store. rig something up temporary to get you through the hunt. Might not be pretty but ought to work.

I got covers for bino's within 3 days.

Also, go to the Outdoorsman and they can probably help you out since they sell Vortex. Bet Vortex would tell them to give you one out of stock and they will replace it for the store.

Guest 300ultramag.

yikes!!! vortex warranty/customer service is phenomenal!!!! thanks to kelly at vortex...

now I need to find a buck :ph34r:

thanks for your help everyone!! wish me luck

Thats good that you found the piece!

I jacked up my ankle at work about 2 weeks ago. Been nursin it and takin it easy so that it gets a little better. I can walk but thats about it! Know where I can buy a new one in a hurry?

Guest 300ultramag.

disclaimer:

my secret honey hole had 9 tags in it this year! yikes... all parties were great sportmans.. so the hunt went very well.

On my scouting adventures I turned up a few decent mature bucks. I was excited to beat my last years buck. 110+

With out going into great detail I only had fri and sat. to hunt.. I had all 8 days off but my hands were tied due to my divorce.. ie court hearings etc

Day one: glassed up a very hungry bear at 2000 yds. out... this poor bear looked like he had lost his keys.. he was rummaging for scraps for 45 minutes we watched him..this unit generally closes early so he was a no go.later on I

finally glassed a shooter at 750 yds. I turned to my buddy told him I had a shooter buck.. 10 min later he finds him in the binos. and opts to pass.. ha ha ha it was a great buck!! I said okay heres the spotting scope.. im taking him..

I build a rest as my partner watches the buck... well he drops over the ridge never had a chance... its early still.. so in an effort to not go "quail hunt" the whole area we move higher up and glassed for the duration of day one.

Day two: My partner and I are the first ones up and at it..while on the mountain glassing.. i watched 5 guys side-saddle below us and off they went..into the beautiful coues country abyss.. I directed my huntin partner to watch a specific mountain..I was being nice... this mountain has produced a few bucks for me in the past....and I really wanted him to find his buck...after 30 minutes of glassing he hadnt turned up anything... lo- and behold he was glassing the same bowl I had been.. I was a little frustrated that he wouldnt glass the mountain I had advised him to.. I pick up my stuff and go set up 20 yds on the other side of eric.. I said hey "Im gonna shoot a buck right now" since you didnt want to glass this area.. i was kidding...I glassed for 5 minutes and turned up a buck on the move..It was a 2x3 so I knew my partner would want nothing to do with this deer!! yippeeee!! so eric comes over to me and Im describing where the buck is at.... hes having trouble finding him... in an effort not to lose this buck.. i kinda rushed things along.. I took his pack laid it on waste high barrel cactus....then deja vu hit... I shot my very first deer from this cactus... ha ha the exact boulder i sat on to make the shot was right there..(talk about a confidence booster) needless to say i have a great rest.... a buck within range.. and a spotter who cant find my deer..... so im locked and loaded... I decide to take the shot... 451 yds.. the range finder reports... I aim 12.5 inches over him... squeeze... kaboom..... whop! ha ha the report was a wee bit loud.. like a rock.. i chambered another.. asked my spotter you on him yet.. he says nope.. i range him again.. 478 yds. this time im like dammit beau.. you dummy your over height was way off.. check my ballistic chart.. 24.9 inches.. i go two body heights over him.. squeeze... kaboom!! no report.. son of a batch.. I take a bullet off my stock.. hand load it and settle in.. my deer is laying in my scope right where he stood..white up!!!! Wooooooohooooo I tell my buddy.. “I dumped him”.. he says “really”.. I say “yup”… guess what.. now he finds him!! Ha ha little late.. eric stays put and I head down the canyon… 300 yds. Later I run into the 5 hunters.. The first guy says.. hey are you the shooter… im like oh shoot.. did I shoot someones deer.. im like “yeah”.. hes says.. I want to shake your hand!!! I say really.. he says son that was great shooting…. My 478 yd shot that I was secretly patting myself on the back.. someone actually saw it.wooohoo I got chills... he proceeds to introduce me to his hunting crew as the “shooter” ha ha I felt 40 feet tall!! The one guy gives me 4 knives to skin out my deer jerry and the rest of em guide me right to my buck thanks mason for the survey terms!! Great guys… I guess he was out of range for all of them.. and they were watching him.. hoping that we would see him.. his words were.. “man I watched that deer come over the saddle and I thought you guys would have seen him after he covered a hundred yds. You shot your first round a little low.. I said to my buddy “that’s a dead deer right there”… seriously I felt so good knowing that someone saw it.. im not one for accolades.. but my buddy really didn’t know what had just happened… hes pretty new to hunting… so I skin my deer out.. get him quartered..and im off back to camp.. a good 3 mile hike through a wash,, thes older guys made my hunt.. they were just really good ol’ timers with lots of stories.. the one guy even gave me respect on how I got the tenderloins and the backstraps.. it turns out there all pretty beat up.. bad hip.. a bad back.. etc. but they were out there giving it heck.. I stayed that day and helped them with a couple spot that were worth a hike.. a natural spring.. and I helped eric glass for the rest of the day…. I go to court on Monday..after my hunt… and I meet my competition.. my estranged wifes attorney.. hes been at it 40 years… but what he didn’t know was… you cant beat a fathers love… for his child… and luckily me shooting my deer this early in the hunt gave me plenty of time to prepare for my case!!! Praise the lord.. I had my daughter in custody that night!!! Ha ha thanks to all.. and thank you to the good lord.. for letting my voice be heard.. on my big day in court…

Beau

post-2006-1291334398.jpg