Sign in to follow this  
Kaffer62

36B Leftovers

Finally got around to post some pictures and add a little tidbit from our hunt... Since we didn't get drawn, my dad, cousin, a friend and I all grabbed some leftover tags. My friend was only able to hunt a short period of time. We were able to get on some bucks but his shots didn't connect. Next up was my cousin. Sunday morning I glassed his buck up and my first thought was he was broken on one side. I told him I glassed a broken buck and with excitement he replied "I don't care!" and we were off! We watched him while he fed out of sight. We made our stalk and were able to get within 240 yards of him. He was standing broadside and my cousin was able to hit him with his 1st shot. He made it about 20 yards and laid down to expire. Upon closer inspection the buck was not broken but instead was a 6x4. His right antler is a clump of 6 points. Very unusual but awesome nonetheless! He was extremely happy, and so was I considering my old man and I were there to witness it from different angles. The next goal was to get my dad his first coues. He kept reassuring me that he couldn't shoot very far so needless to say we were unable to connect on a buck until the last day. Wouldn't you know it? He proved us both wrong! ha ha

The last morning my dad glassed up 2 deer feeding directly across a canyon. I heard him say "I have two does." I took a look through the swaros and right away could tell they were 2 spikes. I ranged him at 417yards.... Thankfully, my father and I shoot the same round out of the same rifle. I was able to tell him how high to hold. We were able to get him a nice steady rest and he squeezed off the first round... it went just inches under him! I couldn't believe it. Thankfully, being an inexperienced spike.. he didn't run off too far and actually came in to 399 yards.. after I re-ranged him and got my dad back on him he was able to squeeze off another round... This time I was able to see the vapor trail arc over and hit the deer dropping it in it's tracks!! One of the coolest things I think anyone can witness.. I told my dad, "You dropped him like a sack of potatoes!" He replied, "No Way".... I will never forget my dad's response. He was in complete shock :)

It may not be the biggest buck in the world but this was a great hunt getting to watch my dad get his first Coues. He is actually ready to go back out and start glassing again! I didn't fill my tag but had great time helping and watching my family do so!

Thank you all for reading this and thank you Amanda for providing such a great website and thank you for all that you do!!

All loaded up ready to go!

post-252-1291174323_thumb.jpg

My Cousin's deer through the spotting scope. (He is the one on the left)

post-252-1291174421_thumb.jpg

My Cousin's Buck

post-252-1291174554_thumb.jpg

Closeup of his buck and his clump of antler

post-252-1291174785_thumb.jpg

A lovely doe

post-252-1291174587_thumb.jpg

My dads monster spike

post-252-1291174626_thumb.jpg

I saw your jeep a few times out there, you were camping close by to Shortypants and Coosefan, we were all wondering just who you guys were but never had a chance to swing by camp when you were there.

Congrats on the bucks! We might have seen the gutpile from the 6x4, the country looks familiar!

Too bad you guys never had a chance to stop by! It would have been nice to meet others from here.