otdrsman

2010 Coues success

Last year my brother came out from Michigan and shot a beautiful large non-typical Coues... Obviously he wanted to apply again this year and he wanted to bring a friend out for the October hunt... Well... they were both drawn and the game was on... I must say I had my work cut out for me, they only had three days to hunt..I've been fortunate, did my research for the past few years and found a nice little spot that has produced some nice animals... The first day was completely miserable, cold, hard wind and fog... no deer... day one gone! Day two... Lots better...glassed up a nice wide chocolate antelered deer too far for my spotting scope to capture his full potential... Told the guys I have a nice shooter deer.. but he's a long ways away, how funny my brother instantly said he wants his friend Jeff to go, Might I remind you, my brother and his friend Jeff are from Michigan (absolutely no hiking involved in their hunting). Next thing, I hear is my brother telling Jeff "you better lighten your load and quick"...lol! All the while my brother has a grin on his face cause he knows how much he hiked the year before...We roll up and down several cuts, 1 1/2 miles later and were on him and he's a diffinate shooter.. boom.. 234 yard shot... .. Cape and quarter and head back.....Jeff is completely exhausted, takes a motrin 500 and a nap.. Welcome to Arizona! No deer that evening and planned on leaving at 10am the the following morning. Wake up, arrive to the same spot and I was fortuante enough to glass up four bucks and another nice dark chocolate.. Tell my brtoher and off we went straight up a moutain... We were both sucking wind and closed the distance to 434 yards. A little out of breath, the first shot was high and the deer scattered... We got lucky and found the deer again... 200 yard shot.. dead deer! What a rush!!! Memories for a lifetime! By the way I went out to Michigan to hunt with my brother two weeks later... freezing cold, no shooter deer and caught a nasty cold.. I did have a Mr. buddy heater in my blind though! Came home and went Elk hunting. Thanks to family for helping me pack him out! I hope you enjoy the pictures! post-1798-1291520747_thumb.jpgpost-1798-1291520841_thumb.jpgpost-1798-1291520934_thumb.jpgpost-1798-1291521041_thumb.jpgpost-1798-1291521193_thumb.jpg

dontcha know you are supposed to put newbies & NR's on dink deer to begin with, then they work up..........

nice bucks.......and Az is nothing like the flat ground of the mid-west, have a couple of Wis boys showing up in 3 days for desert mule deer - hope they remember their Carhartts and leather gloves.

Nothing like hunting with family. Congratulations to all of you and thanks for sharing great pictures. Beautiful bucks and your bull. :)

TJ