Couzer

36A WT hunt, tough but a fun hunt!

I just wanted to say a BIG thanks to John AKA "hammy" for helping me out on this hunt! I scouted 36A pretty hard 2 weekends before the hunt and saw over 40 mule deer does and about 6 mule deer bucks,,,,, not seeing a single whitetail! It was pretty hard to get motivated.

I talked with Hammy and he gave me a few pointers about the unit!

Opening day I eneded up seeing 23 whitetail does, 2 WT bucks, and 0 mule deer all in the same area I was souting in. The 2 bucks where traveling together, one about 60" and the other about 85-95". Trying to judge them from 1.5 miles away through my Swaros was tough, but they had one thing that I was looking for, "antlers".

I busted down the moutain to my truck, and drove it around the mountain to decrease my distance between the 2 bucks. I was busted by a few does and never saw the bucks again that day. The next morning I hiked up to the area they were in, within a 100 yards, I stood patiently and this little 56" buck came out behind a bush at 80 yards. End of story!

Just glad to harvest a buck this year and thanks again to Hammy!

I also had some illegals come through camp flashing their flashlight on my tent at 9pm day before the hunt started. Long story short, called 911, got the sherriff who transfered me to BP, then BP transfered me back to the sherriff, then transfered me back to the call center for BP, who then transfered me to the sherriff who said BP was coming out when I gave them My GPS cordinates the first time. Bp did not show up so I called them back and talked them into coming out. Never showed up!! Oh well looks like the illegals were just passing through and did not cause any problems.

post-2686-1291562490.jpg

post-2686-1291562515.jpg

post-2686-1291562532.jpg

Congrats on the deer! All three of the 36 units are getting bad as far as illegals. I had a 36c hunt last year and i saw more illegals then i did deer in the areas i hunted in past years! It seems like the only way to get BP to show is if you track an agent down and drag them to where the illegals are.

Congrats on your buck! I was ontop of the mountain and watched you guys work on the buck, also watched the two guys that were with you chase a decent 85inch buck in the flats, that buck kept running and never stopped, the funny thing was he was only 150 yards away from you guys bedded down for half an hour! Your friends were close at gettin him, congrats again.

Congrats on your great buck! Hopefully we will run into eachother down there sometime. Great story and writeup.

Thanks guys! And yes there was a bigger buck in there with them. My bro in law and father in law combed the flats down towards are vehicle they said they saw something running fast away from them. Said they couldn't put antlers on it! This was their first hunt and they did a great job hiking around with me. Not sure if they will hunt again with me though, it was tough, but thats hunting. I had a blast. We saw some of the sonoran antelope down there to in with all the deer.

You can now tell your brother in law and father in law that it was a real dandy buck! Funny thing is that buck ran and never stopped, he went into those hills about half a mile south of your camp and slowed down. Once again congrats on your buck!

Dane man you know where I was camped to? Are you one of those scouts that sit really high on the point looking for border patrol? ha ha jk You weren't messing around with flashlights that thursday night :ph34r:

Yeah it was nice buck and hope it gets bigger next year if it doesn't get killed!

Did you have a tag as well? If so how did you guys do?