coues

Arizona Strip

there were BUNCH OF big bucks shot this year. they don't know every buck and guides are less than that. pm me if you get drawn. do not put in for whitetail. if you want pick up a left over that is what i do.

I am a little behind you in the points race w/ 10. I think it will be a while till I can get that tag.

I keep hoping to get drawn and pick up a LO tag.

Best of luck and keep at it.

Is getting a guide a good Idea? Sure.

Is going DYI a good idea? Sure.

I'd worry about what you are gunna do after you draw the tag. Also... keep in mind what is cheaper? Purchasing Lots of gas and the logistics of an Arizona Safari or pay someone else to handle it? Bet you find it very comparable. But is the cost worth it? Hells Yeah! It is an opportunity of a life time! Do you really want to to look back at all those years of not having a rifle tag in you pocket and say, " I shoulda..." or "I'm glad I did it!!"... Whether you go DYI or the Outfitted method... just Do It!! You'll likely not get a chance to have that many points again! Also... keep in mind what your expectations are... I saw pics recently (think it was a thread here) where a couple of boys took very small, young deer on a Strip hunt, deer that they could have shot in most units accross the state. But even a hard hunting DYI hunter can expect to shoot a 180"plus buck in the strip, and if that is good enough for you then great! But those 220" plus deer are not behind every tree so if that is what you want from all those bonus points than spend the $$$ and have a ball!

Good Luck!!

The Strip can be a daunting place for people that have not been there. I guess what it boils down too is what kind of buck will make you happy with your Strip tag. It is really as simple as this- you will get out of it what you invest in it. Now whether that investment means your time or your money that is up to you, but if you want to harvest one of the big nasty giants that make the Strip famous then you are going to have to invest one or the other. Otherwise you are relying on luck and that is a big gamble.

PM me for info........I know a VERY reputable guide who is on the Strip year round that will work out an arrangement for you that will allow you to hunt in the manner you'd like......you can provide your own camp, food, etc., and make it VERY reasonable (less than $2500). High success rate....no chute planes, posse of guides, etc.......

Just thought I'd add my two cents as well. In 2008 I drew a desert sheep tag in one good unit az I had never hired a guide or even considered it, but I knew this was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and I didn't want to look back and say I didn't put myself is the best possible position to kill a ram of a lifetime. I too didn't have the money to go fully outfitted, but I did my homework and found someone who had a good rep in that unit, I supplied my own camp, and got the hunt for 1/3 of the price you mentioned. As it turned out I shot a 182 inch desert ram the largest ever killed in that unit. Nothing against the do it yourself guys because there is nothing like the satisfaction of hunting and being successfull on your own. But the facts are this, the strip is a long ways away and on top of that once you get there you might be hunting 3 hours away from where you camp. Like someone in an earlier post said you would problay end up spending the same amount of money on your own if you do it the right way.

Well, I didn't read all the responses, so I may be repeating something already said ... if so, I apologize.

You have max points ... you can't let that go to waste. You are right, we have some of the best Mulie hunting in the world right here in Arizona. You have to take advantage of that. I have hunted the strip twice in the last 4 years. Both times I was a DIY guy because I could not really afford the guide ... truth to be told I never thought in a million years I'd get drawn either time ... especially not the second time. First time out I saw deer, but none I was willing to shoot. This year I killed a nice 4x4 ... not a monster, but a nice deer that I am proud to have on my wall. It can be done wthout a guide, but it will take a lot of luck to find a beast as a DIY guy. There is just too much area to cover, and those guys spend all year finding and patterning the big boys so they can put paying clients on them. If you are out to get one over 200" and you want something close to a sure thing, put in for a bonus point until you can afford to hire a guide, and then hire the BEST GUIDE for the area (which will take some research). If you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself, put in for a bonus point and take a couple of years worth of vacation time up there scouting and learning the area. You are ahead of that game a bit having gotten a lot of information from someone who's done a lot of hunting there. Nothing says you have to go this next year, or the year after, or the year after. You can get a leftover tag for Coues Deer, Archery hunt for Coues and Mulie, etc. until you get to a place where you feel you are ready ... no matter if you are hiring a guide or taking time to learn the area. Some of what you do depends on your age and where you think you will be in terms of "hunting shape" a year, two years, three years, etc. from now. That always has to play in to decision making.

All that said, the most important thing to remember is that the "hunting" is the fun part ... getting out and being in this wonderful world we were given to live in. The "kill" is just the final act ... and yes, is satisfying, but it isn't really necessary to truly enjoy the "hunt". Remembering that, you will be far ahead of the game.

Good luck with your decision ... and Merry Christmas!!!

Let me toss in a few points here. I've been on the Strip guiding for a long time, and like most of the guides up there, have paid my dues.

The Strip is a HUGE area, about 1 1/2 million acres and you'll soon find a lot of that country has few if any deer in it.

Each year I hear about a guy who had three-four-five helpers who also had never been there and off they go, in search of "Mr. Big." Sometimes they find 'em, most of the time the first timers don't. I always wonder what is the logic of taking 3-4-5 guys who have NEVER been there to an are alike this and expect to find big bucks.

Remember, they are not around, under or even behind every tree up there!

I have the utmost respect for those sportsmen that take on the challenge, and then get it done on their own. Kudos for them.

But for the guy who has a decade or more of applications, has been there maybe one time, and won't have the time to do some serious pre-season scouting, then the odds of success are indeed slim.

Remember, hunt success is 70-75 percent, so that means at least 15 or so of those "Lucky" permit holders are going home empty either by design or circumstances they hadn't planned on!

There are some folks who get more than $6-8K for hunts up there, and as long as they can get it, God Bless 'em!

Others don't charge nearly as much, and believe me they earn their fees! Gas, tires and most of all time, it all adds up quickly, believe me!

Anyway, in my opinion there are two times in a hunters life he might seriously consider using a guide. One is the Strip deer hunt and the other is their once-in-a-lifetime sheep hunt.

Make a mistake on either hunt and there are no redos! Everyone wants a monster buck or ram, and while there are no guarantees, I think using a guide does tip the scales.

If you don't buy it, I understand, and like I said, I have deep respect for those that can and each year do it on their own.

But if need some help, then do your homework, call folks and see what's out there. There just might be a bargain that you can't pass up!

Again, this is just my opinion, and obviously being a guide I am just a little prejudiced.

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

post-3669-1293342896_thumb.jpg

Here is an example from 2010. MY hunter had never been to the Strip, and freely admits he wouldn't have known where to start. He did not have the time to do a month or so of pre-season scouting. We got this buck after pursuing him for five days! I had found and video taped this buck before the start of the season, so we knew exactly what we were looking for.

and you aren't paying a guide only for the time he spends with you, you are also paying him for the time he has in the country scouting, learning the terrain and where the big boys like to hide, etc. Were you to tally up the gas and time the "guide" has in the country you are actually getting a pretty good deal - at least for the majority of guides.