Sign in to follow this  
coues hunter

Spring Bear???

Any advise out there for a achery spring bear 1st timer?

I have had some success with archery for deer before but have almost no idea where to start on this one. The plan so far is to glass, track and do alot of calling. Any thing specific I should know about this time of the year? thanks

The OTC tag. I saw a big bear in the summer that got me intrested. Plus i have always seen sign of them in the area. I just don"t know what to expect that early in the year. Are the bears out or do they hibernate? and When they hibernate do they sleep the whole time or???

I don't plan on being picky. First decent size bear I can find.

I haven't hunted AZ bears but if you find the tracks & find the fresh bear poop they'll be close.

Warmer climate bears aren't much into hibernation, with the exception of sows with new cubs. Not sure what other food sources will be availbale , but spring bears love fresh green grasses around water sources and meadows. If there's any insect larvae hatch going on they'll be rippiing into that in dead rotten wood and humous earthern banks. They'll eat roots like pig too.

Good Luck !

I drew a tag for 33 this spring,looking forward to that, also new to spring archery bear. Will be doing a lot of research this next few months.My hunt starts after the otc tags end.