JayAz

Question about strange scat seen while pig hunting

While out pig hunting in unit 44 yesterday I kept finding piles of scat/vomit like this in the thick washes (piles are 4-5 inches across). The seeds/berries come from a larger tree that only grows in the big washes (which in hindsight I should have gotten a picture of).

Does anyone know what these seeds/berries are and what animal is eating them? I ask because it seemed like whatever was eating them seemed to get the trots or throw them up within 100 yards of the trees they come from. They also have a very hard seed inside and seem to be of very limited nutritional value.

post-1537-1294070420_thumb.jpg

If they taste like black pepper, they are juniper berries. If they are bitter, they are manzanita.

:o

The tree is too large to be a juniper (was 15+ feet tall) and was in low desert. Definitely not manzanita. What really confuses me is why they eat them only to pewk them up or get the trots within a few hundred yards.

If you try them, I would suggest not trying the ones from the scat.

If you try them, I would suggest not trying the ones from the scat.

no guts...no glory

It kinda looks like hack berries. Were the trees gray colored and grow in a little cluster? The wood is a soft brittle wood so usually there are a lot of fallen limbs. If it is hack berry every thing eats it, foxes, coyotes, bears, birds...... There is a sweet flesh around the big sead.

I think you nailed it! They were Desert Hackberries

From the size of the piles it must have been something larger, coyote, pig, bear even. Still not sure why they "expel" them so quickly.

Thanks for the help on this one!

Jay