Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2011 pigs

It was rough this year, it wasnt like the past years when I was in college and had 14 days to hunt, this year I actually had a job, a wife, a new house on the way (moving next week monday), a wedding to go to, and a baby on the way.

Day 1- it was 11 degrees, we headed out and my dad and I stayed together while my sister and her husband went off to another area. After 2 hrs of glassing, we havent seen any pigs and finally my sister located some, we met up with her in 20 minutes and took off on the herd of pigs. My dad and I were able to get semi-close to this herd of 12 pigs and one finally gave me an opportunity but he was 29yards out, I don't like shooting pigs that far since they've jumped stringed me many times before, well when I shot the dang pig ducked and turned to the side and dodged my arrow completley. All pigs took off in every direction. That afternoon, on the drive back home we turned off to another area that we have seen pigs there before and began our nearly 2 hike mile in. Once we got settled, an hour went by and was able to locate some pigs about a mile away. My pops and I rolled out and got to the base of the hill, he got set up as I went ahead circling around on the herd but after 5 minutes my dad and I couldnt find those pigs anywhere, it was real thick and they must have snuck out as the sun was setting. Tough luck!

Day 2- we went out to an area we've killed at before turning up no pigs but many big bucks chasing does.

Day 3-Fast forward to Sat and Sunday (today)- Yesterday I had a test to take up in tucson YUCK! took the exam for almost 4 hours, then beelined it to my dad's camp. Once I got there my dad was out glassing the hills so I decided to drive to an area overlooking the spot I missed my pig last week and glass out the surroundings. I got on the hill and did not locate any pigs where I hoped they'd be and started glassing around me, soon I found the herd again about 3/4 mile out and began my stalk. I got up to a single pig at 20 yards and he kind of detected me, at this time the sun was setting and my shadow was like 20 feet long, he began walking around to the downwind area to scent me out (or so I thought) he came around a cactus and walked right at me! I was stuck, he was 15 yards away and the sun was right behind me and the pig was literally in my shadow so I drew back as straight away as I can but of course he saw me, he didnt run though but rather turned around and walked quartering away, I got a bead on him with the 25 yrd pin aiming a few inches ahead of his head and released, my arrow went under his jaw and infront of his shoulder, a complete miss again! I was gettin cranky. We went back to camp had some drinks and crashed.

Day 4- We started drving out to our spot and I quickly glassed a bowl about 3/4 mile out and I saw a single pig walking so we beelined to the top of that hill downwind of where we saw the pig. Once we got to the top of the hill, we glassed...glassed...nothing turned up. I guess I was imagining the pig walking there? WHo knows but soon I was able to glass up a herd of 10 pigs walking about a mile and half out (God bless Swarovski binoculars!) so my dad and I headed in that direction. When I first found the herd, they were crossing over a wash going from a south facing slope to the north facing slope where there was 3 ft tall grass. I knew exactly where these pigs were heading so we went there. As we were walking up the hill, we were taking our time and glassing around us and as we neared the top I saw a pig about 30 yards through the grass, the grass here was about 2 ft tall. I told my pops to get down there's a pig ahead, and nocked an arrow and got to my knees. The pig walked towards me and stopped at 15 yards and began to pick apart a prickly pear, I could barely make out his outline but I knew where his head was and where his body was. This year I was shooting FOBS and I was not sure how it would perform when shooting through 15 yards of grass but remembered that my dad has done it before with great results so I pulled the release and the arrow was flying. The pig made a quick woof and I saw my arrow flying way up in the air (I wondered why) and he ran downhill into the thick oak and 3ft tall grass, I wasnt too excited! My dad walked farther up the hill to the south facing slope and found some pigs below feeding, drew back and got a bead on a pig and fired, his arrow struck true on the first attempt. I went to where my pig was and found my arrow, relieved to see that it has broken off and was missing roughly 8 inches of the arrow. I began tracking the pig downhill but found ZERO blood, I was just walking the track I saw him run on. I went 30 yards and decided to stop and back out and let the pig die off, before I backed off I looked infront of me about 7 feet through the grass, saw something, glassed at it thinking it looked piggish and walked over to it and there he was, finally a pig down for me! I had hit the pig in the shoulder hitting the heart and one lung, but the arrow did not break the skin on the other side. I still dont know why there was no blood to be found.

This is my 10th pig and my dad's 9th, I'm real pround of him. Both pigs are boars and roughly 5-6 years old! Prime time pigs.

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

Funny thing is my dad only brought out his quad, leaving mine at home. So we had 2 pigs, 2 backpacks, 2 bows, 2 bibs, 2 big fat warm jackets, 2 heavy guys on a Yamaha Grizz 450, we did drive back to our camp real slow, enjoying every moment.

PICT0036-1.jpg

My sister and brother in law have rifle hunts this Feb, hopefully we can add more to the season's harvest.

thats good stuff! things change when you get out of school. im finding the same things you are with plus and minus the things you have. its still fun!

That was a good writeup and pictures to go along with a great story. You guys hung in there and it paid off. Nothing like hunting with Dad to make memories of a lifetime. Congratulations on both your pigs and good luck to your sister and her husband next month. Thanks for sharing. I can't get enough of these kind of stories when it comes to pigs. :)

TJ

That's awesome! Great story...sucks to get old with responsibilities :lol: hurray up and get that baby out...want to see a "triple" in 10 years!!