Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Nice Fox

Got out this morning for a few quick stands. The second stand brought in a nice coyote, but he hung up at about 80yds and wouldn't come any closer. On the 3rd stand we had this nice female Grey come in to Cottontail dist in less than 5min. One quick shot at 20yds and she was done. This was my first kill with my new Browning Maxus. So far I really like it.

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

Nice Fox, excellent colors. I called yesterday (saturday morning) and had a young grey fox (smaller then that one) come to our calls and the fox actually mocked the cotton tail distress from my electronic caller. I got a kick out of it. It got in sight but we let him go since we were trying for a coyote or bobcat and my .270 would of blown it up. It seen me move but didnt run off as we were leaving the stand, it was curious and followed us while maintaining a distance as we went to the car. At the car and I tossed my ham and cheese sandwich I packed for lunch so it had something to eat. It actually ate it in front of us and then went on with its day. It was a sight to see and I never seen a wild animal so curious to follow humans, or attempt to mock my a cotton tail distress like that.

FYI- The .270 will make as much of a mess on a bobcat as it will on a fox. You need to move down to a fur friendly caliber (.17-.22) or a shotgun if you are targeting bobcats.

My hunting partner had the 870 12 gauge but it was really young and we both felt we should leave him alone. I brought my .270 because it's the first hunt its been on I also have a old savage .22LR/12 gauge combo single shot that stayed home. The only thing why I didn't use it is because it belonged my father in law and is rediculously old and belonged to his father who died a long time ago. He gave it to me since I'm into guns and hunting, and not his son because he is into video games and has no appreciation for the outdoors at all. His loss is my gain.

Thanks guys!

With the way things are going at work this year, I have had to stay much closer to home.

The vest is an older Primos Turkey vest. My wife bought it for me for Christmas the first year we were dating. Its about 8 or 9 years old. It works great for me and my style of hunting. Lots of gear pockets, and a padded seat and backrest. The bird pouch on the back holds the call and decoy.

FYI- The .270 will make as much of a mess on a bobcat as it will on a fox. You need to move down to a fur friendly caliber (.17-.22) or a shotgun if you are targeting bobcats.

Will a .243 work for fox?

.243 will blow tthem up bad. Like Scott said stick with the small calibers if you want to do something with the pelts.

Will a .243 work for fox?

Sure it will work if you want to scatter the gray fox in 7 pieces across the landscape. :)

Shotguns are always the easiest firearm to use when chasing fox and bobcats.