Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Mt. Ord

So I was on my way back home from Payson. I decided to go to the top of Mt. Ord. Could not make it due to the snow. I was about a mile short of the top. so on my way back down i catch movment. I see a Coues about 40 yards away. Something funky with its head. I could not tell if it was a buck or doe and it was in the open on a slope. I glass it and Its left ear is missing and bleeding pretty bad. She has 3gashes on her left rib cage about 2-3 inches apart and about a foot long. She has 3 more gashes that are open pretty good and still bleeding on her left rump... She was breathing pretty hard and stoped to look behind her. She had a fawn that was untouched. I followed her blood back to a bunch of hiar broken branches and lion tracks. She is a lucky one to get away, I hope she makes it. I tried calling for the lion but I think I made to much noise on the way in... this was around 2:30 this afernoon.

On Sun.we were putting the stalk on some mulies and when we were about 30 yrds away the deer jump up and start running. At the same time a lion jumped up not 20 feet from them and the chase was on. Not sure if we saved the day or not because when i got to the top of the hill the the chase was still on. Unit 36b.

Yep i think they have a couple cats on that mountain.

When I was up there during the October coues hunt I had one at 150 yards but before I could get in position to kill it, he was gone. The next day we notcied the fawn that was with the doe in the same area was gone. Someone needs to get up there and kill those dang things. Isnt there any guys with hounds on here that can try to emilinate a few lions in there.

Unit 22 has a multiple bag limit of 12 in that area, 2nd most in the state besides 6A and 16A which are tied at 15 cats. Lion hunters have helped out a bunch in this area but there are many...too many cats, still. However, the sheep population in 22 has doubled, increasing substantially in the past 3 years. Every year I buy my lion tag just on the "in case" of me seeing one and being able to get a shot off.