Sign in to follow this  
kevin24

3rd desert mulie in a row

Well for the the 3rd consecutive year I find myself posing for a picture with another quality buck with my bow. I glassed this buck up pushing 10 does up a hill and notice he has a good main frame and good width. I decide to make a stalk on this buck and once I was within 150 yards of the buck the wash I was in became unpassible, so my only option was to walk into the open and right towards the herd. With all the deer staring at me I decided to put my bow above my head to simulate antlers and proceeded towards the deer ( I dont know why I decided to do this). It allowed me to get within shooting distance of the buck, I believe they thought I was another buck. With the wind in my face I took a few more steps and busted a few does, they ran to my right and at this moment I heard what sounded like rattling. There he was, 50 yards to my left raking a tree. He looks right at me, i put my bow above my head to simulate another buck, he proceeds to rake this tree violently. The buck then starts walking to my right and at this moment I lower my bow and nock an arrow. I look to my right and rangefind a tree that was in the direction of where i thought the buck was heading. As he walks behind that tree at 42 yards I pull my Mathews bow back, as he steps out I grunt. I put my 40 yard pin low behind his shoulder and let it fly. "Wack", the buck takes off with my arrow penetrated into his heart and I watched him pile up 50 yards to my right. This buck has a little character to him, he has a main frame three point on his left with a 3 1/2" tine coming off his G2 and a 1 1/2 kicker off his main beam above his ear. He has a 21 1/2" inside spread and 24" outside spread and 19" tall. I taped him out at 155", not a monster but a very nice buck with a bow and I will take it. Technically he is a 4x5 and my third consecutive 4x5 in January.

post-2614-1295578436_thumb.jpg

post-2614-1295578472_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you got what it takes to get the job done on them muleys. Good writeup and enteresting how you managed to get closer by using your bow above your head. I've seen it done on tv hunting moose but that is a first I've heard anyone actually trying it on deer. Thanks for the tip and congratulations on the last 3yrs. Beautiful buck by the way. :)

TJ

I thought I got some wierd looks at the gas station with just my camo on. Its really gonna be bad when I walk in to get a coke with camo and a pair of antlers duct taped to my head!

j/k

I thought I got some wierd looks at the gas station with just my camo on. Its really gonna be bad when I walk in to get a coke with camo and a pair of antlers duct taped to my head!

j/k

:lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO I thought the same thing sweet buck congrats on the 3 in a row aka turkey ;)

I've actually considered doing that a couple times but my pride got in the way. As many hunters as there are out there glassing, I'd be affraid my picture would end up here on a different kind of thread. I'll do it now. You broke the ice on that one. Great job and a big congrats.

Wow your deer came with a target for the vitals. (White patch) Congratulations! I really like him. Nice buck.