COOSEFAN

There's something about these deer!

Jimbosbestpicswt4.jpg

I'm new to this "posting" stuff, but hopefully it works. I'm a guide here in AZ and NM and specialize in Elk, and they have always been my favorite animal to hunt, except they share that top spot with these addicting little creatures called "Coues". The country you hunt, the way you hunt, the challenges they put you through, and the beauty of the prize are all reasons they are so addicting. This buck is only a 2 point (I actually cringed a little when I typed "only") but I was fortunate enough to experience the whole package in one day. I had to get the hunt done ASAP because of upcoming elk hunts. I hiked farther, glassed harder and longer, and was rewarded with a beautiful buck. I wouldn't have passed on this buck, even if I could hunt longer. I just can't get enough of these deer and will sit for hours on this awesome website, lay awake for hours thinking of upcoming hunts, and even spend thousands of dollars for Mexico tags. My wife thinks it's a sickness, and I agree, but she knows the only cure is for me to be out there hunting coues! We are leaving tomorrow for her LATE Kaibab 12AW tag. I'll try to post pic's of her buck if successful! The details of my buck are on "rifle page 66"

Great job describing your addiction! These deer are addicting and incredibly beautiful. People frequently ask me why they are so addicting and I can never really quite describe it. But like you say, the challenge of the hunt, the country they live in and the grace and beauty they display while living there, make them a very special critter.

Congratulations on your excellent 2 point!

Amanda

COOSEFAN, thats a nice buck congrats.

Now a may be a little nuts but that buck looks like he has some muley in him ;)

Anyone else see what I'm talkin about?

Congrats on a nice buck.

In the pic are you showing off the Coues or the swaros? :D

Chef

Thanks for the replies, I think my favorite thing about this site is that it's not totally based on score. Thats probably due to the deer itself though, even a spike can be a great trophy to an individual, and you guys are great at promoting that in your replies back to members that post their pic's, regardless of size. Don't get me wrong though, my thoughts and dreams are of "book bucks","mass", and "droptines", but theres always something special about a coues, regardless of what it scores! To Chef, quite a few of our pic's end up in the "OUTDOORSMANS" magazine, "WESTERN HUNTER", and I have the habit of "Raising the Glass" for promotion reasons, plus, aside from my legs, my arsenal of "SWARO'S" are my greatest aset to hunting Couesies. To Deerslam, he does have some muley traits, he's the biggest bodied coues I've killed, and big ears, but he had the brightest orange colored tail I've ever seen. The size of his 2 point rack made me double check before the shot too! Thanks Again, Jim

I think we have another "Coues addict" coming out of the closet!

Welcome!

That is an awesome 2 pointer though by any ranking.

I think I see what Deerslam is saying about that buck having some Muley traits.

good luck on your 12a hunt

COOSEFAN, thats a nice buck congrats.

Now a may be a little nuts but that buck looks like he has some muley in him :)

Anyone else see what I'm talkin about?

I dont think so ,that boy is all Odocoileus virginianus couesi (AZ Whitetail) Coues deer any way you slice em (pun)And A Bruiser of one at that Congrats on one nice buck!!!

First timer here

azdesertgriz

I don't believe anyone that lives in the east can totally understand and appreciate the Coues deer. The size just isn't there, and to most hunters east of NM, that is what counts, not comparing apples to apples by realizing God made these deer smaller in the first place. My friends think I am a nut case for wanting to hunt Coues, and I too have a hard time explaining why. Actually I've stopped trying.

Congratulations on the fine deer. Nice pic and glass too :rolleyes: -Shiras

After scouting yesterday, I think I'm nuts for hunting something that I think still may or may not actually exist. If it weren't for sign and a fawn's leg, I'd swear coues deer don't reside in 36b. I didn't see a dang thing, best glass I can beg from friends. I hope things improve next weekend.

Nice buck, I hope to have my own to post by New Years. If not, I'm sad and the wife is pissed (already is). To her, the only thing worse than all of this time spent on hunting would be to get skunked!

Later,

Matt

I don't believe anyone that lives in the east can totally understand and appreciate the Coues deer. The size just isn't there, and to most hunters east of NM, that is what counts, not comparing apples to apples by realizing God made these deer smaller in the first place. My friends think I am a nut case for wanting to hunt Coues, and I too have a hard time explaining why. Actually I've stopped trying.

Congratulations on the fine deer. Nice pic and glass too :) -Shiras