deserttacoma84

Questions, Questions and More Questions

Hey Everyone! I'm looking into buying a new rifle. Have grown up on Remington 700's, but am curious as to other suggestions... My brother and I are looking into possibly start reloading as well. So my questions to everyone are. Most favorited rifle manufacturer, caliber, and scope as well as rifle for the money spent. I want to be able to hunt both deer and elk and have a rifle that will reach out to 600+ yards. Most of this is fairly new to me as I grew up hunting trying to close the distance under 200 yards. I'd like to learn how to shoot with turrets so basically any advice would be great. My brother shoots a Remington 700 .300 WSM. I was considering going that route as we could just reload the same ammo without having to change dies, brass and bullets etc.. Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions! Thanks in advance :)

I would go with a REM700. There are many great Cal. out there. You need to get the one that will fit your needs. Long range hunting is much more than just buying the set up. It takes a lot of time, studying, and practice. My best advice is to never shoot out side your comfort zone. Know your limits. Dont think Im against longe range hunting/shooting with this post, as I live and breath this stuff. I just dont like when I see people say "Im new to this stuff, and I want to shoot game way out there."

There are many great cartridges for 600 yards. The 308 comes to mind, military uses it for that type of range. The 300WSM should fill the bill for any situation you might find yourself. One thought about using the same stuff as your brother. Each gun usually has loads made for it's individual likes. If you get this far, keep your tests separate. A fire formed case for one rifle may not fit in another.

I would go with a REM700. There are many great Cal. out there. You need to get the one that will fit your needs. Long range hunting is much more than just buying the set up. It takes a lot of time, studying, and practice. My best advice is to never shoot out side your comfort zone. Know your limits. Dont think Im against longe range hunting/shooting with this post, as I live and breath this stuff. I just dont like when I see people say "Im new to this stuff, and I want to shoot game way out there."

By no means am I new to hunting. I have been hunting since I was 6 and deer hunting since I was 10. I do intend on practicing ALOT. I am not a fan of just lobbing lead out there and pray you hit something. I am fascinated by some of the videos on here and with technology and how far shooting has advanced the abilities that are now within reach for anyone who wants to learn. I think half the hunt is the stalk and getting within range which I do enjoy. As you have learned at one point in time, I now have the ability to as well and I want to soak up as much of this stuff as possible! Thanks!

The .300 WSM is a very good platform, IMO. The .308 bullet is good at bucking the wind, etc. Lots of bullet options, lots of reloading information and it's a non-belted cartridge which is a good fit for someone just getting started with reloading. There are a lot of good powders out there for that offering too. You just have to find the right combination for your rifle.

I think you're on the right track, as long as you have time to practice hard are willing to experiment a lot with bullets, cases, primers and powder.

desert- the rifle is more important than the caliber. the remington sendero or a winchester laredo are great rifles . i suggest a 7mmrm or a 300win ( you can load these two down). . start reloading. i would not get a 308. i would not "share brass" from one gun to another. get on longrangehunting.com and 6mmbr . get a sendero add a vais, a good scope ; adjust the trigger you are ready to start. for practice there are matches at rio salado, prgc, and ben avery. look on desertsharpshooters.com for dates/times.