CouesWhitetail

New Hunting Opportunity in Mexico!

Hi Guys,

Ever wish you could be the first to hunt on a ranch in Mexico?

I am happy to announce a new sponsor from Mexico. Rancho El Durangueno is offering Coues deer hunts for the first time in 40 years! They are located in the state of Durango in Mexico.

Because they haven't had hunters there and I haven't been to the ranch yet, I can't show you pictures of what size deer they have. But they should have some large ones. Because they are new to the Coues deer hunting business, they are offering a deal for hunters this year. You pay a fee to come down there to hunt and enjoy their first class accomodations and you only pay an extra amount if you see a deer you like and shoot at it. So this is less risky than paying $3500 up front to hunt some other ranch in Mexico.

Check out their website.. This ranch is known for world class Gould's turkey hunts and now they are looking to expand their operation by offering Coues hunts. Looks like they have some great accomodations and a beautiful 55,000 acre ranch.

They are taking hunters for Dec 2005 and Jan 2006. If you are thinking of hunting in Mexico, this is an exciting possibility.

One of the ranch owners has told me he is willing to come in this forum and answers questions that anyone might have about this ranch. So look over the info on their hunts and then post questions here. Or if you prefer you may email him directly, aayala@solcomla.com His name is Alonso Ayala Grimaud and he speaks excellent english so feel free to ask him any questions. He can provide references and phone numbers from previous hunters (turkey hunters) also so you can hear from other people about their experience on the ranch.

Amanda

P.S. This ranch is farther south than the currently recognized boundary for Coues Deer by Boone and Crockett. But Boone and Crockett records committee is meeting over the next few days and will most likely be expanding their boundary to include deer in Durango, MX as Coues deer. The Mexican Govt is expected to certify that the deer in Durango are indeed Coues deer.

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Though with this short of a notice I don't think it is possible to get the paper work done to bring your own rifle.

Sounds pretty good. That's still a chunk of change. I have to wait and see how the first couple years went. That has to be getting pretty close to the end of their southern range. -Shiras

That ranch was built right out my dreams! Beatiful country and accomadations!

I wish I could include myself with those who get to enjoy this adventure.

Amanda, can you post some Coues pictures?

;)

Yes I was. Sorry I guess I was confused or maybe it was wishfull thinking. :)

;)

I see they have an OPEN BAR!

Some of you would SAVE MONEY by going down there for a week!

;)

Amanda,

Have you discussed the class of Deer that have been taken or seen on the ranch with anyone? Photos will help if you are able to obtain any. Is this group reputable? Any additional information would help, as I am definitely interested. Not having time to process and take my owne rifle, along with no photos/testimonials/firt hand observation makes it tough.

Thanks Amanda,

Todd

They don't have photos of the deer or much of an estimate of antler size. I have, of course mentioned to them that it's important information to have and they are working on it. But the ranch owner isn't a coues hunter and so he is not real familiar with estimating scores. So yes, it's a large gap in information. However, I can't imagine any unhunted deer herd not having large bucks.

I will be going down there in either Dec or Jan and getting some video/photos and evaluating the ranch, along with trying to kill a big buck down there :blink: So those of you that want to be cautious can wait for my report and pics. Those of you willing to take a chance might want to go this year in order to be among the first to hunt the ranch.

Amanda

Amanda,

It says that they will prepare the deer for transportation back to the US, does that mean that you would have to take care of the paper work and actually bring the deer across yourself? Also do they help with any of the paper work or are you on your own?

If I am reading this correctly it would cost $3,700 for the hunt plus $50 a day for rifle rent plus $50 for transportation to the airport, that is if you are sucessful and can't get more than 3 other people to go with you, is this correct.

Cramer,

Yes, I think you understand the pricing correctly. $2500 up front fee, then $1200 more if you kill something. I am going to talk with Alonso about the rifle rental and pickup fee. Seems pretty steep to me. Especially since they are new to this and starting to sell permits so late in the year.

As far as the paperwork, Alonso will have to answer that. I don't know the exact details. They have lots of experience with turkey hunters and so I assume they know the best ways to make the paperwork go smoothly.

Alonso signed up for an account in the forum yesterday, so I expect he will come today and be able to answer some questions. You can also email him directly using the link in my first post in this thread.

Amanda

Seems like alot of money to me for an experimental hunt.

I did an experimental type hunt in Sonora back in Jan. 02 and paid $1600 with no trophy fee. Turned out to be an awesome hunt but had it not the $1600 wouldn't have been that hard to swallow.

Just my 2 cents :o