deserthntr

mildot question

i have mildot in my soon to be long range set up, and i recently sent my vortex in for repair, whic by the way was excellent service with quick turn-around. got a new scope no charge! but i was reading through the mildot manual and had 2 questions, 1- does the distance a mildot is depend on the power the scope is on? so if your mildot is 36" at 300 yards and zoom in, would it move down to 24"? not sure if those are correct numbers but just a situation. and does the mildot differ at the yardage? so same situation, if its 1st mildot is at 36" at 300 yards, and move out to say 600yds, would the 1st mildot be 72" at that range? this is all for windage, not elevation

When you Mil you will need to be on the desinated power setting unless you are on a FFP scope. On variable power scopes, the correct power for the Mildots to be accurate will depend on whether it's a First Focal Plane (FFP) scope or a Second Focal Plane (SFP) scope. On FFP scopes the appearance of the reticle changes with the power adjustment (the reticles don't change size, they're just magnified along with the rest of the view), so it is always accurate regardless of which power setting you're on. On a SFP scope, the reticles appears to be the same size through all the power settings so the mildots only subtends the correct size on one power setting, usually the highest power setting on the scope. If your scope is SFP there will sometimes be a dot or driangle that will tell you what power to mil off. Im pretty sure the Vortex has a marking on it.

my vortex is at 14x, thats what they say to use for estimating ranges and hold over, so your saying it will change depending on range and what power the scope is at? ill plan on shooting a ton over summer so i can figure it out, i just wanted a starting point.

You have a SFP scope right? You will need to use 14X when milling then, or your mils will not be accurate for ranging. As you turn your power up or down the Mills will not equal what they are suposed to. Are you planing on Milling for hunting?

You have a SFP scope right? You will need to use 14X when milling then, or your mils will not be accurate for ranging. As you turn your power up or down the Mills will not equal what they are suposed to. Are you planing on Milling for hunting?

ya it is SFP. i will mil only if i dont have time to adjust my turrets. and the only other time i will use mils is for holding wind. so if i use mils for wind, my scope will have to be on 14x?

What scope do you have. I was looking around at some Vortex.

i have the crossfire, because at the time it was what i could afford. but i would go with the viper if your looking to get one, the PST gets my vote, but i love mine, its the AO illuminated mildot 6-25x50, returns the zero every single time, very clear and gathers light really well. its pretty big especially with the sun shade but i still really like it. especially cant go wrong with vortex customer service and warranty

and does the mildot differ at the yardage? so same situation, if its 1st mildot is at 36" at 300 yards, and move out to say 600yds, would the 1st mildot be 72" at that range?

1 Mil = 3.6" at 100 yards (3.44 MOA), 7.2" at 200, 10.8" at 300 etc.....Take 3.6 and muliply that by distance divided by 100. 3.6 * (300/100) = 10.8". Also, 3 Mils at 100 yards = 10.8" or 10.32 MOA.

and does the mildot differ at the yardage? so same situation, if its 1st mildot is at 36" at 300 yards, and move out to say 600yds, would the 1st mildot be 72" at that range?

1 Mil = 3.6" at 100 yards (3.44 MOA), 7.2" at 200, 10.8" at 300 etc.....Take 3.6 and muliply that by distance divided by 100. 3.6 * (300/100) = 10.8". Also, 3 Mils at 100 yards = 10.8" or 10.32 MOA.

cool thanks for the formula. and jeffro, i agree, its a pretty sick scope

When I put a mil-dot on my .220swift about 10 years ago there was a place to get a slide rule type piece that made figuring everything with a mil-dot a ton easier. I intended to pick it up since it was only about $20 but never did. You can probably do a search and find it again. If I remember right it was a former military sniper out of Colorado that was selling them. My thought was if it cut my learning curve for field work it was worth the $20.

I just pulled my swaro off my 300RUM and replaced it with a 50mm viper. I think we ended up buying 3 when doug(cameralandny) had the target dot reticles really cheap. I know 6-7 guys who bought those scopes. They have worked really well for us. It isn't as clear as my swaro, but not too far behind. I prefer to use balistic software and my turrets over the TDS in my Swaro. The viper has really distinct clicks and the turrets are easy and fast to read. In load development for mt dads 7mag, he hit a 10" rock at 981yds 1st shot. We are still tuning the load, but the scope has worked great so far.

Old post but I wanted to add one thing, you don't need to have the scope on a specific setting for a ffp mildot. You do need to know what the factory setting is but the mildots can be used with a multiplier on the lower settings. The Vortex PST's have it clearly marked as you lower the magnification, 2x, 4x, etc..