Sign in to follow this  
TEAM JESUS

Which truck

This is an informative only topic. No opinions please.I guess it would be best to leave this to the new trucks like 08 and newer.

1)I would like to know what diesel truck you have, year, model (ext-crew-mega or reg cab).

2)4 wheel preferably and what is it you tow and it's weight?

3)I would like to know what your gas mileage towing and not and if you have had any major issues with the truck.

4)I would also like to know what speed you can safely tow up Sunset Point and your gas mileage up it if you know.

So here is why. I have an 03 HD Chevy with the 6ltr gas. I pull a 28' toyhauler that weights 6k dry and around 9 to 10k loaded. Non-towing I get 14 mpg. Towing I get 6 mpg. I can crawl up Sunset Point and parts up to Payson at 35 mph and drop to 3 mpg. The fastest I can go with the trailer is 60mph. Let me just say I am sick of the gas and speed. We went to Kaibab last year and it took 7 hours. Having to stop at every gas station is getting old too. Thanks

I have an 06 Chevy crew cab diesel 4x4. I tow a 30ft 5th wheel with a dry weight of 9800. The unloaded milage is right at 20mpg on the highway. It was about 18mpg for the first 25k miles, but once it was fully broken in the milage jumped. When towing it drops to about 12mpg. I can run 75-80 on the interstate without problem, but feel more comfortable at 65. I can maintaint 65 up most hills, but have not tried Sunset. I am sure the milage drops significantly on the hills, but I have not checked it seperately. A friend has a similar setup with a Dodge truck and has similar performance. One difference seems to be the smoothness and down shifting of the Allison transmission in the Chevy. Just my $.02

I know you asked for 08 and newer info but here is mine anyways. Keep in mind that 07 and newer diesels have much more smog crap on them.

I have a 06 Dodge 1 ton SRW 4 door 4WD long bed with the Cummins 5.9 and a 6 speed manual. It is stock. I have got as much as 21 mpg empty but usually it is around 18 - 19. Towing a 8500lb toyhauler it drops to under 10. This is running at 75mph. With diesels the faster you go the worse fuel mileage you will get. Same with bigger tires.

It is not a daily driver. I have had it 5 years and it only has 40,000 miles on it. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

I have pulled the hill on I-8 15 miles east of Yuma at 70 mph in 5th gear. It is one long hill. I will say the truck does not lack for power. I don't win any races from a stop light since I am running thru 3 gears before I get thru the intersection while pulling the trailer but it makes up for it on the hills. I can only imagine what it would be like if I put a moderate chip in it. I might some day just to get the fuel mileage up a mile a gallon or two.

First off, I had a Chevy with that 6 liter and it was the worst truck I ever owned. I had a 7000 pound trailer and got pretty much the exact mileage and speeds you got. Traded it in and bought a 2008 Dodge quad cab diesel 4x4. It's the new 6.7. I tow a 27 foot toyhauler, fully loaded at 11,000 pounds. I can go up sunset at whatever speed I want to really, but I rarely tow faster than 60 mph. The true test is the hill on HWY 260 from Camp Verde to Payson. Top speed for me when I am fully loaded is around 45-50 depending on traffic and if I have to give up some momentum. Only issue I've had with my truck is the diesel particulate filter keeps clogging up. This is simply because I don't drive my truck everyday and when I do it's just down the road and back to pick up my daughter from school. Have to drive it like I stole it every now and then to burn the particulates out of the filter.

As far as fuel economy it's ok. If I keep my speeds down around 60-65 on the highway, I will get close to 20mpg. If I cruise at 75 it drops considerately to 15-16 or so. Right after I bought it I took it to WY for and antelope hunt. It had 5000 miles on it already when I bought it and I averaged 18 mpg for the entire trip. When towing, I am right around 13 on most trips. I have seen it go as low as 11, but only once. I should also mention that I run 33 inch KM2 mud tires which will affect fuel economy some.

Blake, is your fuel mileage taken from the overhead console or is it hand calculated?

The reason I ask this is the fact that most if not all later model Dodge diesel overhead consoles are off by as much as two mpg on the high side. Now my other pickup, a 07 Dodge Megacab with a Hemi, console is dead on.

I have a '08 F250 CC diesel 4x4 I bought with 35k and now has 50k miles. In town mileage hurts at 14mpg. On the hwy at 60mph ill get 19mpg. Like others mentioned at 75mph mpg drops. I also don't drive it much and it seems when ever the ''exhaust filter clean'' comes on I just am pulling into the drive way. I know I have to drive it like I stole it but when it cost more that $100 to fill up my foot gets a whole lot lighter.

I tow a 8500lb trailer loaded and ill get 14mpg to Phx from Tucson at 70mph. The truck will tow at 75mph no problem. More often than not while heading up to 6A from Tucson the truck will only down shift a hand full of times. The turbo will increase boost for slight grades etc. The only mph drop I have ever seen is on the afore mentioned 260 from Campo Verde.

I had a Nissan Armada prior to this truck and it is a world of difference.

:ph34r:

2007 Dodge 2500 with 5.9L Cummins. Quadzilla adrenaline... I can pull the hill at what ever speed you prefer.. I dont tow heavy things but my 16' PJ trailer with 2 4x4 quads it doesnt even know is there pulling up Sunset, Bumble Bee, or anywhere in between Tucson and Flagstaff.

I get about 17-18 MPG empty, and havent really caltulated while towing.

Blake, is your fuel mileage taken from the overhead console or is it hand calculated?

The reason I ask this is the fact that most if not all later model Dodge diesel overhead consoles are off by as much as two mpg on the high side. Now my other pickup, a 07 Dodge Megacab with a Hemi, console is dead on.

That's hand calculated. My console readout is usually a touch over 1 mpg on the high side.

2004 CC 4x4 Duramax, w/Edge EZ, MBRP 4" exhaust, boost & EGR gauges (a must when pulling) running 285 BFG ATs. I tow a 27ft 5th wheel that has 12ft slide out, not sure on dry weight. I pull based on my EGT and in setting #2 on the Edge and it goes up 7 mile hill from Tucson to Globe without much issue keeping speed limit or above. I say that guages are a must as even running stock (no Edge or exhaust) I could hit 1300-1400degs EGT without issue pulling my 20ft empty toy hauler to the White Mountains. Putting on the 4" exhaust dropped my EGT by around 300deg. Adding the Edge chip put it back up to stock EGT levels from the testing I did as I added parts. I'm around 10mpg towing the trailer up to it's summer spot 11-12 pulling it home. I say around because if I pull in the mid day heat it's worse than pulling it up around 7pm when the cool air helps create more power. Then I'm at 15-16mpg around town all hand calculate with tire size adjustment.

for you dodge guys... how long are you front breaks lasting?

Since mine is a 6 speed manual I down shift every time I slow down. I only have 40K miles on it and am on the original brakes.

2004 CC 4x4 Duramax, w/Edge EZ, MBRP 4" exhaust, boost & EGR gauges (a must when pulling) running 285 BFG ATs. I tow a 27ft 5th wheel that has 12ft slide out, not sure on dry weight. I pull based on my EGT and in setting #2 on the Edge and it goes up 7 mile hill from Tucson to Globe without much issue keeping speed limit or above. I say that guages are a must as even running stock (no Edge or exhaust) I could hit 1300-1400degs EGT without issue pulling my 20ft empty toy hauler to the White Mountains. Putting on the 4" exhaust dropped my EGT by around 300deg. Adding the Edge chip put it back up to stock EGT levels from the testing I did as I added parts. I'm around 10mpg towing the trailer up to it's summer spot 11-12 pulling it home. I say around because if I pull in the mid day heat it's worse than pulling it up around 7pm when the cool air helps create more power. Then I'm at 15-16mpg around town all hand calculate with tire size adjustment.

CMC thanks first of all. Did you happen to look into the Banks system before buing the edge? From what i have read in the mags. Banks is the only program that does not raise your EGT's as much as the Edge?

I did look at the Banks and know a guy that has one on his 2002 and he speaks highly of it. For me the Edge/Exhaust setup met my needs, budget and was a breeze to install at home for a simple upgrade the the truck. Mind you all that did was get my truck equal to a 2008 Duramax in HP/TQ so if one were to buy a 2009/2011 you're already ahead of my Edge in those figures. the EZ Edge isn't a hot rod setup by any means. I just wanted a little more 'umph' for the hills.

My only complaint is not getting the exhaust resonator that goes ahead of the muffler to help with the louder exhaust. I dislike how loud the 4" exhaust is even with a muffler on it. Just been too lazy to add it in after the fact.

cmc

for you dodge guys... how long are you front breaks lasting?

53000 miles right now on the original brakes. Haven't taken the tires off to look at where they are though. Between the overdrive and the engine braking system, I rarely ever have to use my breaks when towing. Not hard braking anyway. The truck downshifts just like a manual would.