Sign in to follow this  
ehunt

Another San Carlos Gobbler!

Its very hard to compete with Amanda's great story and pics, but I wanted to share with you my very short but sweet hunt on the San Carlos this year! I made the trip this year with my good friend Troy(huntncoues). The first morning out we were set up on a bunch of gobblers only to have them go away from us as they left the roost. We soon heard a couple more about a half mile away and high tailed it towards them. As we got to the top of the ridge one gobbled within 100 yards of us so we made a quick set up. I gave a soft yelp and they hammered back and within a few minutes they were within 40 yards and the rest was history. I always admire the beauty of these birds in the spring! My tom has a 12" beard and has one black spur and one white in which I thought was very unique! I already can't wait until next year...I get to hunt with my dad and my two brothers who will be making the trip over there with us for the first time, and I know Troy will be back helping us with some calling....thanks pal!

post-1961-0-47873400-1302328399_thumb.jpg

post-1961-0-38073900-1302329000_thumb.jpg

Anyone ever see spurs that are different colors?

post-1961-0-57414200-1302328537_thumb.jpg

That's an awesome bird there Eric! And I don't think you mentioned it, but as you told me, that bird weighed 24 lbs!

I have never seen one black and one white spur, that's cool!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story and pics!

man looks like you guys and gals are having a blast on the res for turkeys. What's a tag and license cost for San Carlos?

cost is a total of $245 ($225 plus some habitat stamps). Not many tags left for the 1st season.

FYI - I just ordered my tag and they told me that the dates on their website for the 2012 tags are wrong...

correct dates for 2012 spring turkey are:

1st season - March 31 to April 15, 2012

2nd season - April 21 to May 6, 2012

The tags are a little pricey but the experience is worth every penny!! I have had some great memories over there hunting with my dad!! He could not make it this year which was a bummer but he will be back next year! I cant wait until the 22nd, we will be back chasing gobbles up north!

way to go eric. that is awesome!! Ive never hunted turkey but i think im going to give it a try in a few weeks with an archery otc tag. sure looks like fun.

Congratulations on your giant of a bird. Great story and a fine trophy for your hard work. :)

TJ