Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Dog training?

So, we are on a "test drive" of a two year old german shorthaired pointer. Last night was our first night, but he shows alot of potential. Unfortunaetly, the dog we got is a 2 yr old male so some of the fundamental stuff might be long over due, or too late (as far as hunting is concerned).

This is my first GSP, and im pretty clueless. Was looking for information and tips on how to start. I already spoke to Desert pheasants out in coolidge, but was looking for something a little more local and a little cheaper (in case he turns into a love hound, and not a bird dog ha ha).

Walked him past the neighbors house last night before bed and he pointed on the concrete statue-ette of a horse pulling a cart (about the size of a tonka truck). hillarious.

post-4172-0-82840200-1303223974_thumb.jpg

post-4172-0-12385700-1303223989_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention, think he has had some beginner training. the rescue group said the original owner kept him staked to a tree outside. But he is friendly and happy. We tried feeding the neighbor kids to him, but the dog didnt seem to care about the little people ha ha.

Also, by the time we went to sleep, we either refreshed his memory for "sit" or he is an awefully fast learner and she had him working on "down".

--- My guess is since i only wanted to go look, and she used her power to outvote me to take the dog home.... we are going to keep the dog irregardless of his hunting desires. (i couldnt justify spending big bucks on a dog that would be a pet most of the year, since im pretty new to quail hunting as well).

Any easy way to test him out on being gun friendly, other than the obvious?

The "foster dad" for the dog said he did great off leash. Just a little leary of trying that too soon, until he knows where his new home is. ha ha

GSP's are great dogs, but they are very high energy. I have one, she is a hand full but is a great dog. I would get a few books on training of the GSP, they will help you out a ton, and get a shock collar (trust me they work great), the problem with the GSP, they get so involved that it is hard to break there consintration, so the shock collar gives a jolt to get them focused on you and your commands. Once they get used to it, you will not even have to charge the collar any longer, just put it on and they will give you there attention when you want it. Ours has turned more into a house pet due to my wife, she loves her and spoils the crap out of her, but she listens very well and is very smart (almost to smart).

A two year old is not to old to train. After going through 6 Brit's so far, it's almost like I want to start at 18 Months, they are so much more attentive and their retention is vastly improved at that age. Of course I get to training my pups as early as I can, just anxious I guess. I would recommend you get with a local pointer club and see who is training. Most want to try how birdy the dog is by using a carded bird, or bird with the flight feathers plucked and see how the dog reacts. For the gun breaking or seeing how the dog reacts to gun fire, there are certain prescribed methods, PM me if you want some references to how this is done. Beautiful dog, and your attitude is great, if not a hunter then a great best friend.

Gene

the more birds you get him on the better, arlette and bob, who own desert pheasant, are great people and will help you out a ton, even just call them on the phone and talk to them. one thing with the shock collar, dont use it excessivly and slowly slowly work your way up the stimulation until you get their attention, you dont want to hurt them or use it as a punishment. if you choose to use it as a punishment when they dont listen, forget them listening when its off. also, if you use it to break him on chasing deer and rabbits, dont talk or yell at all, just crank it up so he yelps. but if you talk or yell, he will know you are causing it and not the animals he is chasing. then you will have to break him down and start over which is real hard. work on the basic commands first, here, whoa, etc. for his first season as long as he comes everytime dont run him with the shock collar, let him have fun. this first season is critical that he gets to just have fun, and never reprimand him when he has or is with a bird. they can associate it to being the bird. this is all just my experience and opinion. bird dog training is like trucks, everyone has their way they think is best. pick a program and stick to it, dont go change it. or mix a bunch of knowledge from others in your brain that you like and make your own program.

these dogs are great dogs. mine have always known when its time to hunt and when play time is. I have had six of these dogs and they dont even start working like they should until they are 2-3 years old. that has been my experience with them. I have always tried to have a veteran dog and a pup (2-3) learning behind them. Ive had great huntin GSP's and some not so great. It dont mattter, I have one of the smartest GSP dogs ive ever owned and she will not hunt, but still a great dog. good luck you wont be sorry with a GSP

If you're in the phoenix area you might want to come to one of the Arizona Pointing Dog Club (www.azpdc.org) meetings, they every second Tuesday of the month at Marie Callender’s Restaurant, 2420 W Northern Ave located at I-17 and Northern Ave. The club was formed to give owners and their dogs something to do during the off season. There are a bunch a friendly folks with a ton of knowledge, and really helped me get going. More then likely you'd be able to find someone on your side of town to get out with you and your dog to do an initial evaluation. PM me if you questions about the club.

Thanks everyone for the information, both public and private. As soon as the dog settles in i will start the training. .... and hopefully tales of success come next season

Matt, it was a pleasure meeting you and Hank at the plant yesterday. He is a great looking dog and one of the friendliest dogs I have seen just meeting someone for the first time. That definitely is a big plus right out of the gate. Glad I could be of some help and whatever way you go with the training of Hank I'm sure he is going to satisfy your needs in the hunting field. I can just sense it. Keep us informed how the training goes. :)

TJ