Sign in to follow this  
WFGinNM

Opening Day Tom

A friend came out from PA for a few days to look for antlers and hopefully get a turkey. Opening day we planned on going to a spot that I like to shed hunt but never turkey hunted, Jason brought the shotgun just in case. Around noon we were glassing an open area to look for antlers and he used his slate to see if any birds would respond. After a few minutes of glassing I saw a turkey running at us about 200 yards away. we hustled back to the treeline where we left our packs, and the shotgun. Once we got set up I started calling and a tom would answer but wouldn't come closer. Jason mentioned that we should move to him, so we did. Not long after we repositioned, the tom came in gobbling non-stop and Jason added his first Merriam turkey to his large collection of Eastern birds.

This bird was 20+ lbs, 8 1/2" beard, and the longest/sharpest spurs I've seen on a Merriam's, 1 1/4".

JasonsTurkey.jpg

--Bill

Good looking Turkey. Its always good times to have a big tom running to your calls.

Any sheds found on the trip?

-Ryan

Thanks, We found 20 elk sheds but only 5 were fresh browns. Too far back to be carrying out whites so they are hanging in trees. I'll be heading back out this weekend with my Wife to hopefully find some more browns.

--Bill

I'm headed out in a couple of weeks with my wife and two boys for our Spring shed hunting trip. I hope we can get our hands on some fresh browns. Congrats again on a good outing.

-Ryan

Vini,

One of these days we will get out again. I can't wait to call in a bird or two for your boys. With the lack of snow the only sheds I've been finding are up high. 6 mile 4-wheeler ride and a 4 1/2 mile hike through the blow downs of the old burn, topping out with about a 3,300 ft elevation change one way. After this weekend Erika may never go looking for sheds with me again. :unsure: :( But she is dying to find her first brown elk shed.

--Bill

agreed! with the boys!!

GOOD LUCK!! hope u both find some good sheds!! we have first baseball game this saturday (open ceremonies) so...keep us post how u both do!

vinihunt

Nothing like watching a spring gobbler coming to a call. Congratulations to Jason on a great looking tom. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ