Sign in to follow this  
azslim

Spaghetti Tonight

I have spaghetti sauce bubbling now, won't be long to make up some pasta. This is a simple one, 1/2 lb of Sweet Italian Fennel sausage (deer), a can of mushrooms, can of diced tomato's and can of tomato sauce, some s&p, small blast of oregano and bigger blast of basil. Here is the recipe for the sausage. I skip the fat in these recipes and just make it up with meat, whatever fat is in the pork is all that makes it to my sausage.

Italian Sweet Fennel

3 lbs pork butt - I use 3 lbs game, 1 lb pork and skip the fat

3/4 lb pork fat

1/2 cup dry red wine

4 cloves garlic minced

2 tblspns fennel seeds

1 tblspn freshly ground black pepper

4 tspns kosher salt

1 tspn dried oregano

1/8 tspn gound allspice

grind meat/fat together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything.

Italian Sweet Fennel

3 lbs pork butt - I use 3 lbs game, 1 lb pork and skip the fat

3/4 lb pork fat

1/2 cup dry red wine

4 cloves garlic minced

2 tblspns fennel seeds

1 tblspn freshly ground black pepper

4 tspns kosher salt

1 tspn dried oregano

1/8 tspn gound allspice

grind meat/fat together, mix in spices/water and knead together, then grind again. Cook small patty and decide if needs anything.

That sounds pretty good!

I usually don't leave much meat for grinding into sausage when I butcher, but Italian sausage has always been a favorite.

Especially for sauce!

;)

Please let me know what size batterries you need for your camera. :rolleyes:

TJ

TJ, don't hold your breath waiting for pictures from me, you're liable to smothercate.

Chef, the front qtrs of game goes to grind, burger and sausage, and lots of times the 3cord roast (tri-tip?) from the hindqtrs get ground up too.

TJ, don't hold your breath waiting for pictures from me, you're liable to smothercate.

Chef, the front qtrs of game goes to grind, burger and sausage, and lots of times the 3cord roast (tri-tip?) from the hindqtrs get ground up too.

The recipe sounds good and it's always much better when you've prepared it from one of your own tagged animals. Much appreciated Bill. :D

TJ

That's our favorite recipe for game sausage that we use in spaghetti sauce. We make it almost weekly since it's my husbands favorite meal! Only I use twice as much fennel and more oregano than it calls for. I originally got this recipe from your sausage making class at BOW (when I stepped in to help teach it while you were fighting fires)! I usually use 2 lbs game meat and 2 lbs pork shoulder/butt (and skip the fat this recipe calls for).

The last BOW we field dressed and butchered a goat, made up a batch of this sausage with just ground goat, no pork or fat added, it went over pretty good. Barb cooked it up in her Dutch Oven class.

The last BOW we field dressed and butchered a goat, made up a batch of this sausage with just ground goat, no pork or fat added, it went over pretty good. Barb cooked it up in her Dutch Oven class.

Yeah, I wish I had been there to try it!