Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

WTB Tripod/Head setup

Im looking to buy a tripod set up. i thought a used one may be good for my 1st one. looking to spend between $100-$200. ive done a lot of research and its hard for two reasons. 1.... hard to tell online what will work without having your hands on it. 2....im 6'3" and i would like to be able to glass standing up.....I THINK. Ive never had a tripod that i could do that with. Is standing to glass important to you veteran coues hunters? seems like a nice option but i dont think its the be all end all. so far im looking at the slik 330 and 340 set ups. any opinion on those? im open to suggestions. thanks

Cody

To me it is important to have one tall enough to stand comfortably and use, I have one that is about 4" too short for me to use standing up, it will be replaced this season. Jump out of the rig and glass quickly, stand and peer over the edge of a hill/ridge because there isn't a bush to belly up under and you know there is something there or just get tired of sitting. I know folks that got some decent set-ups at Walmart or camera stores, your height may be a problem tho.

sportsmans warehouse has great cheap tripod/head deals. thats where i got my slik and its a good head that come with it.

I have a slik cf thats a 4 pc thats tall enough for me. I'm 5-11. I rarely use it extended all the way, but i do use it. I'd prefer to sit and glass, but I dont like sitting in snow. I also use it when the brush is real high or to video directly above the shooter. I have a buddy thats like 6-3 and he has a 3pc carbon manfroto. Its plenty tall for anybody up to 6-6 I'd think, maybe more. It is pricy though. I definately would buy my head and legs seperate. I would suggest a manfrotto 700rc2 to anyone who is money consious. They are less than 100$. You can find good deals on here in the classifides on legs.

If you want to stand, get the tallest tripod you can without having to extend the center column for the needed height. Hang a rock bag from the center column also to make it more steady. I would avoid light/thin legs for a fully extended tripod for standing.

I prefer to glass while sitting on a foam pad, so a shorter, lighter tripod works for me. I too like the 700RC2 head.

I like to use Adorama or B&H to search the options.

http://www.adorama.com/searchsite/default.aspx?category=1385&indimsearch=1

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2636&N=4291756623&cm_sp=Filters-_-Category-_-Tripod_Legs

I'm 6'1 and I use the Jim White Panhead and a Slik Sprint Pro tripod. I can glass standing up with it. You could be into this setup for $200-225 if you buy the items used.

If your going to the Arizona Deer Association Banquet on Saturday the 21st, they have my same setup in the silent auction. You may be able to pick it up for a reasonable price. Just a thought and it goes to support a great cause.

I just looked at the sprint pro......maybe im just not getting it. Im 6'3" thats 75 inches. The slik pro says the max height is 65".....that would put my binos level with my throat.....lower if the legs are splayed out. Am I looking at this measurement wrong? Elkster9 says he is 6'1" or 73 inches.....how would it work for him to stand up and glass? Im a tripod novice so any input is much appreciated...cody

HAve a chance to pick up a 055xprob for $100. Good deal?

That is almost half price as new they are $190.

That deal and the 700rc2 would be a good combo within your budget.

Well I can stand behind mine. That's what I wanted. But I find I glass longer if I set down. Also the vortex or bushel bono adapter was needed to make mine tall enough for me to glad behind I am just under 6 foot.

Here is the best price I have found on a 700rc2 (I'm buying one too...)

This one comes with the plate (normally around $20.00) and the price goes down about a $1 every other day or so...

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-700RC2-Video-Rapid-Connect/dp/B00009R6NZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305901527&sr=1-1 (they have another one on Amazon for about $70, but it says that one takes 1-4 months to ship...)

Also, if you're thinking about upgrading to the 701HDV (which I am), here is the link for that... http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-701HDV-Fluid-Video-Mini/dp/B001AT314M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1305901616&sr=1-1

I've got free shipping from Amazon for the next month or so, if you end up buying this one and the shipping is pretty expensive just let me know and we can order them at the same time and I'll just meet up with you to get your money and then to drop off whichever one you choose...

Dale