El Fuego

What Should I Do?

I have two stock rifles that I would like to customize/accurize. One is a Remington .270 BDL and the other is a low end .257 Weatherby.

What work should I have done and to which rifle? What results will be acheived? Who do you recommend do the work? How much should I anticipate the cost to be?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help!

First thing I would do is work on the triggers or install new ones. Some triggers can be made a lot better on your own or a smith may charge 40-50$. A new timney can be had for around 130, Rifle basix around 150, and Jewel around 200. Then I would work up a load that shoots well. If I could't get them to group after that, I would probably sell them, honestly. The next add on for me, If I wanted to keep them would be a stock. IMO a good trigger and load devlopment is the mosty cost effective way to acurize a rifle that doesn't have issues to start with.

What is their accuracy now?

Do you want to keep the same chamberings? If you want to change, what game and distances will the rifle(s) be used?

What make and model is the 257WBY?

If you are not going to rebarrel, you might start with a trigger job on the Rem700, recrown the barrel and do bedding job.

The rifle I shoot most of the time started out life as a BDL. I had the trigger worked over by a competent gunsmith 20 years ago and have been quite happy with it. I have also known several people that have not. I would agree that trigger is #1 and you might as well put in a high quality adjustible one. Handloading is #2 in my book, you have to have the ability to give the rifle what it wants. #3 in my humble opinion is a good quality adjustable (turrets) scope with high quaulity rings and bases. #4 is stock. If you can afford Mcmillan or similar, pretty hard to beat, if you cannot afford, at least bed the action and float the barrell of the one you have. If you do these things you will have a good place to start provided you don't already have a burned out barrell. Everyone has a different opinion about cartridges and caliber, I think you can make almost all of them accurate, I would see how far you can go with what you have before jumping into re-chambering or re-barrelling....just my opinion. Good luck!!

EL FIRE- IT IS ESY TO ADJUST your remington trigger your self. google remington crisp. once you shoot a remington with a krieger barrel you will have a very hard time to go back to shooting ANY factory barrel. you will have to decide what weight gun you want to end up with and what caliber. that will determine barrel contour and any future stock replacement.

Both calibers are awesome, I would start with the one that is more accurate initially. I did a similar accurizing process with my 257 weatherby which was just putting a timney trigger on it lol. I plan on putting a new stock on it soon but as of now it shoots under .732 inch groups at 100 yards. Trigger makes a huge difference and its only 100 dollars. Install it yourself its really easy just have a chisel to take away some of the plastic on the stock if it is putting pressure on the trigger assembly.

Hopefully some remington guys with chime in because I have no idea where to start on those.