Pine Donkey

Unit 1 Fire?

The map I saw this afternoon shows that the fire already crossed the 25 road. It also shows that it burned right past the Reno lookout tower.

I meant the 25 north of the black.... ;)

dang, that's a big fire. one thing about it, from looks of the map, that is one area that could use a little burning. sure hope it misses the structures. anybody know if it burned the old lee cabin? it looks like it is right in the middle of it. Lark.

Just got word that Alpine is getting the notice to evacuate, that fire was headed more west but turned north hard and fast.

Gotta go get pictures and stuff out of the cabin, if we could get that dammed wind to stop blowing maybe they could slow it down.

Howdy folks.

While I would certainly sympathise, to a degree, with anyone that lost property because of this fire I'm of the opinion that we should just let it burn as long as no lives are threatened. Towns and buildings can be rebuilt, but people cannot be replaced.

We have had over sixty years of aggressive fire suppresion, and this is what it gets us. Fire, from my limited knowlwdge base, is a good thing that is natural. Before the west was settled fires happened, and areas expirienced renewed plant growth. It was a naturally occuring thing that we have inhibited for far too long in my opinion.

Living in a forest, or on a grassland for that matter, means one has to accept the challenges that nature provides. Fire is one of those challenges. It shouldn't be suppresed, but rather homes should be rebuilt after nature takes it's course. Sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.

Biker

Most of that country is filled with dead falls and undergrowth and has been for years. IMO It needed to burn 10 years ago, but not like this. With these winds, I don't think it will be a ground fire. I hope it stears clear of all the structures and peoples lives. If I had to pick a place to not have to fight a fire in, that would be it. Steep, thick, and elevation high enough to slow you down quite a bit. I am no firefighter, but a couple guys here are, maybe they could shed some knowledge on what they think is happening up there. That whole area is water shed area for the black, then the salt and onto roosevelt and the other lakes. It may turn into a big issue with flooding and mud slides this next winter/spring with the snow melt. I sure hope when the monsoons come they bring water, and not dry thunder storms for a month.

I saw this posted elsewhere. No verification if it is true.

"It is known that the fire was started by a couple that had hiked in to the confluence of the S and N forks of Bear Wallow creek. This was beautiful country, it isn't now. They had a campfire and left it unattended to go on a day hike. Looking back toward their camp from elevation they saw flames and dense smoke. They had left their two dogs tied to a tree. When they got back their camp, everything, including the 2 dogs had been engulfed."

If I get banned for this post......SO BE IT!

I wanted to take the time to thank the US Forest Circus for the bang up job they have and are doing on managing our forests. I would like to give a special thanks to those who manage the Apache-Sitgreaves Forest. I feel especially blessed that the US Forest Circus learned so much from the Rodeo-Chedeski fire (June 18-July 7, 2002). It's good to see that the tree huggers got their way and we ran all the loggers (previously contributing to our local economy and helping keep the forests healthy) out of the woods so that there is so much undergrowth and densities to our current fire.

That late snow we had dumped enough moisture onto the forest to clearly warrant such a situation. For the single individual or group of individuals (committee) that made the decision to lift the fire restrictions (on OUR forest) this past weekend, you deserve a pay raise, a pat on the back, applause from your tree hugging colleagues and a boot in your ASSES! I'm sure you'll move right on up the political ladder and you deserve to sit down with the rest of the scum that sits in those same "elite group" of political chairs.

A special thanks also goes out to the visitors from Benson who saw fit to have start a fire and then take a nice "skip" down to the river, while leaving their fire unattended. Needless to say, you likely started what will turn into the second (2nd) Rodeo-Chedeski fire. Thanks for coming to the White Mountains.....your visit and it's effects will be seen for many years to come. You left a great heritage in your place.

Since there will likely be little to no repercussions and/or consequences to you personally for your visit, I wish you the best. In reality the $100 that they could deduct from your paycheck for the rest of your lives won't amount to anything. Putting you into our prison system wouldn't do anything either, I mean we put people into prison at $60k/year to help rehabilitate bad behavior. You didn't behave badly you simply forgot to use common sense. Prison nor anything else can reform stupid.

Again a big pat on the back to all those involved, especially our stand up US Forest Circus. You guys are a bunch of DUMB ASSES!!!!

Howdy folks.

While I would certainly sympathise, to a degree, with anyone that lost property because of this fire I'm of the opinion that we should just let it burn as long as no lives are threatened. Towns and buildings can be rebuilt, but people cannot be replaced.

We have had over sixty years of aggressive fire suppresion, and this is what it gets us. Fire, from my limited knowlwdge base, is a good thing that is natural. Before the west was settled fires happened, and areas expirienced renewed plant growth. It was a naturally occuring thing that we have inhibited for far too long in my opinion.

Living in a forest, or on a grassland for that matter, means one has to accept the challenges that nature provides. Fire is one of those challenges. It shouldn't be suppresed, but rather homes should be rebuilt after nature takes it's course. Sorry if that seems harsh, but it's how I feel.

Biker

I completely disagree. You are correct that we have had over sixty years of aggressive fire suppresion. The US Forest Circus has not allowed the forest to be "managed". An this is what we get. We don't live in "unsettled" territory. We cannot allow things to burn as they did when the dinosaurs roamed. The forest has to be groomed. That can happen naturally or through good management techniques (read logging). If it happens naturally you get a Rodeo-Chedeski Fire.....an then who have you helped? What resources have you managed? You haven't. The US Forest Circus won't allow any of the timber to be harvested....so those precious natural resources will again be mismanaged and abused.

Anyone that thinks we need to let "mother nature" manage things naturally needs to go get their head examined....better yet go live in the city with all the rest of the retards and stay the heck out of OUR forest. You don't belong. You are un-natural!

Let it burn. The R/C fire, from a strictly biological viewpoint, is the best thing that ever happened to unit 3. Obviously, I don't want to see anyone lose their possessions.