Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Possible Permit Reduction for 1 & 27

Arizona Game and Fish Commission to meet Friday

to discuss fall turkey season amendments due to Wallow Fire

Phoenix - The Arizona Game and Fish Commission will hold a telephonic meeting at

1 p.m. on Friday, July 8, to consider amending Commission Order 5 to reduce permits for the 2011 fall turkey hunting season in Game Management Units 1 and 27.

The meeting will be hosted at the Game and Fish Department headquarters at 5000 W. Carefree Highway in Phoenix (1.5 miles west of I-17). Members of the commission will attend either in person or by telephone conference call. The public is invited to attend.

The meeting will be webcast at www.azgfd.gov/commissioncam. However, those wishing to submit “blue slips” to present oral comment during the meeting must do so in person at the Phoenix meeting (the public will not be able to submit blue slips and present comment from the regional Game and Fish offices).

For a complete meeting agenda, visit www.azgfd.gov/commission.

I didn't get to hear all of it, but it sounds like they are going to reduce the number of tags in unit 1 from 675 to 200, and in unit 27 from 900 to 300?

Is that correct? I was trying to listen and work at the same time.....

yup they lowered them....http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Commission-reduces-fall-turkey-hunt-permit-tags-in-units-1-and-27.shtml

what else could they do? this fire had to devastate the turkey herd. well, that and the fact that they will need them for wolf food now that the deer and elk herd took a hit too. Lark.

Good call. I wouldn't have even minded seeing them eliminate the turkey hunt this fall. On the plus side, the turkey and deer populations will explode in the next few years in those areas.

My neighbor up here in Springerville is one of the commissioners and he said from there initial counts and estimates they have only seen one hen with 2 little ones with her. All the rest of the hens were with out any offspring. I have gone every where you can go up here and looked at as much damage as possible and it is crazy how it burned one area to nothing and the next ridge is green trees and looks untouched. We have been getting rains everyday for the last week and we needed it. Today I went through Sipe and all the burned grass areas already have green grass and broad leaves coming up. The elk are still here they are just in huge herds and in weird places. They are going to have plenty of great feed to finish off the growth. I got to fish Christmas Tree Lake on Thursday and on my way back o Springerville I saw a hen and 4 little ones with her, but that was on the rezervation and none of that area has been disturbed by the fire. I did a lot pq

\

That press release was loaded with bad news. The timing of the fire and the fact that 75% of the turkey habitat was hit - This fire is going to affect turkey in 1 & 27 for a long time to come.

It is, but it's all anecdotal right now. I listened to the meeting, (most of it), and they said that no actual studies have been done. The info was based on a few observances, and speculation about the effects due to the timing.

BUT, I found it interesting that they said that they did not have an accurate picture of the turkey population PRIOR to the fire. Which is odd, considering that is probably the most crucial piece of info required for managing any species.

• Like 1

From the AZG&F page, "This decision does not affect nonpermit-tags purchased over-the-counter for archery-only and juniors-only fall turkey hunts."

It is, but it's all anecdotal right now. I listened to the meeting, (most of it), and they said that no actual studies have been done. The info was based on a few observances, and speculation about the effects due to the timing.

BUT, I found it interesting that they said that they did not have an accurate picture of the turkey population PRIOR to the fire. Which is odd, considering that is probably the most crucial piece of info required for managing any species.

No accurate picture of the population before the fire?? Yet they put a ton of tags out anyways :angry: ! What a crock! That just confirms that they dont manage our wildlife, they just manage how much money they can possibly make.