creed_az_88

does chasing does?

well, i hunted hard in 29 and 30a this past week. i saw most of the deer in 29 but a couple in 30a. The mulies were rutting hard and the whitetail were in the rut a little. I didn't see any big whitetail but i saw two different does being chased by two different deer that had no horns. The two deer chasing the does were not real small bodied and they acted just like bucks but they had no horns. What do you guys think was going on. My guess is that they just had some gene defect or something.

creed

Does will chase other does, not for breeding, but just when they are sort of arguing over who gets access to which food source. I saw a group of about 6 does before the Dec season started that were running all over chasing each other and sometimes rearing up on their hind legs and kicking at each other.

Also, spikes can sometimes be so small that you don't see the antlers, but they will still chase does like a larger buck will.

When you say they acted just like bucks, what do you mean? I guess it depends on what behavior you saw. Did the does pee after the "buck" pushed them around? did the antlerless deer go over and check the pee? Or was it more like the doe just moved away somewhere else after being pushed by the antlerless deer?

Amanda

Creed

Those are my favorite units. I wish I could get down there more often. The rut should kick in stronger soon. We really need some colder weather. I've seen bucks rutting down there as late as March. Does have a pecking order and are always playing around. I do remember a deer killed back in the 80's by College Peak that was supposedly a doe that had grown antlers. I have seen a mule deer buck once with both antlers broken off close to the burr. Good luck hunting.

I too saw a mulie with antlers broken off at the burr. He walked right into me at 18 yards before he realised i was around. The antlerless deer i saw were walking behind the does and putting their nose right into the does rear end. then the does would trot off and the antlerless deer would follow. while the anterless deer were walking towards the does they would stick their tails up and stretch their neck out. The were acting just like the other bucks in the groups. I can assure there were no horns on these der because i was only about 60-65 yards away most of the time they were there. The bucks with antlers didn't pay any attention to the does. They just sparred a little bit and then grazed around.

creed

were ya huntin' on brokeback mountain?  Lark.

LMAO... :D :) :lol: :D :lol:

I see Lark has "Broke Back into the Saddle" with his unique brand of humor.

:D

Lark, c'mon. Those dudes are TRUE BLUE cowboys and would in no way, shape or form rub off on deer. Deer don't emulate to be cowboys,....unless the deer had some 15x56's and were watchin' them REAL close.

Creed,

I did see a yearling buck this year (eastern) mounting a doe this past November during the rut. He was about 3/4 her size and until I saw him jump on her back, I had no idea he was a buck. Could be the same scenario. -Shiras