ultramag

trying to figure this out

So last winter I had my rifle zero at 200 yards and was getting great groups, everything was good. So now I pull the rifle out and shoot the same ammo at the same distance 200yrds now I am 8 inchs low? Every year it seems like I go though this. What would cause this? would temp humidity cause such a big change? this is driving me crazy I want to have confidence that this rifle can hit something but I have to mess with it everytime to get it back on zero. The gun is a rem m700.270WSM HS stock, luepold VXL 4.5-14. when I do get it shooting it drives tacks. but if its gets put in the safe it throws the zero off.

any ideas. thanks

Loose action or scope base/ring screws? Did you store your ammo in a hot car or garage? Powder deteriorates in heat.

I think the HS stocks need to be skim bedded. Even so, I don't think that would cause an 8" change in zero assuming that the action screws are torqued to the HS recommended 65 inch pounds.

Maybe try your scope on another rifle and see if does something similar? If not, you can rule out the scope least.

I would check you rings and bases and make sure they are tight and straight and possibly lap your rings to make sure that you don't have any uneven presure on the scope.

2nd I would check to see if you have any pressure points on the barrel from the stock. have the stock bedded and use the correct torq and procedure when tightening the screws.

If that doesn't work, I would look at your scope.

I am leaning toward the scope. I spent top dollar on this thing thinking it would be good. I have a frind that had the same scope and it would not hold a zero at all worse than mine but still the same issue just worse. He thought it was the him not being able to shoot the gun but after all it was the scope causing all his problems.

Rings, bases or bad scope, I don't think any other problems would cause an 8 inch shift, not even deteriorated powder or stock touching the barrell. Good luck, sounds like you might be on the right track

Just pulled the scope off and its on the way to leupold. Might as well order that timmey trigger while its down for maintenance and do a few other things...With a box of ammo at 50.00 I am not going to try and TRY differant things just going to attack everything. It only costs 10 bucks to send the scope.

What does it mean to "lap" the rings? how would you do this. I have heard the term just don't know what it means.

Lapping your rings more or less means that you use a sanding compound (lapping compound) along with a steel bar, the size of your scope tube to sand down any high spots or any spots that are not inline with the scope. Here is a youtube link that shows the lapping of the rings.

What kind of rings and bases are you using?

Well I ordered the scope ring lap kit. Its amazing the problems you find you you start messing with things,I had luepold bases and rings when I checked them they all seemed tight till I started lapping the rings. the base adjustments became loose "Problem found" because the screws were tight but the rear ring was loose. The dove tail on the rings were not true and would not hold even when the screw was tight this was only a slight movement a couple of thousands when measuring with a mag base but you could still feel a slight movement, I tried to see if I could do anything with them and realized that I cannot trust these rings bases anymore,Hunting equipment gets only one chance with me then it gets replaced with something I can trust.

To cabelas I come they had some Warne rings and bases that looked solid so I bought them and installed them. then I did some lapping the qauilty seemed good the lapping showed that they are at least square the "wear" from the lapping was even and didn't require a lot to make them true.

I might have "jumped the gun" sending the scope to luepold but at least they can check it to make sure. I am sure they have ways to check a scope... pretty sure i found the problem.I am going to call them and ask If there is a charge for my own mistake for there rings and bases.

make sure you have top quality rings and bases they mean a lot leupold is a great scope and make sure your stock is bedded and your barrel is free floated