Sign in to follow this  
#1huntinfool

coues deer weight

Compared to 1/3 of the meat from a boned out bull elk + antlers, I'm exactly positive it ain't much... how to get a critter out RARELY crosses my mind till after lead is in the air. Other than when meat would sour and hair would slip, like a bear.

Can't fathom a place I couldn't pack out a boneless coues buck. I've even known a crazy french guy to do it in a kid's Outdoor brand backpack from Wally World.

If Im not a crazy distance from the truck (which most of the time Im not) I like to pack it out whole. LAst year I put my brothers buck in my Eberlestock whole and had no problems cover the 2-3 miles back... Yeah, had to rest a few times but no biggy. If its a fairly good size body deer I like to cut it in half. I'll take half and who ever I'm with takes half.

On my buck last year, I dont know who got the short end of the stick.... Scout'm as he had both our packs and my rifle, or me... I had the whole deer, but a level II sprained ankle!

I like to hang them up and bone them out on the spot. Usually get 35-40 lbs which fits right inside the pack. I Strap the head and cape to the outside and off we go in 1 to 1.5 hours.

I don't know about boned, but two years back I picked one up fresh from being shot, not yet gutted, and it was NOT a strain to carry it to the rig. Can't be more than #30-40 in meat, and that'd be estimating high.

I've shot my share of coues and a few had what I call heavy bodies. The most to date after boning out was 37lbs. I have a walk-in freezer and weigh all my meat so I know what mine where. You will hear lots of stories but I've yet to see one make 40lbs coming thru my walkin boned out. :)

TJ

I've shot my share of coues and a few had what I call heavy bodies. The most to date after boning out was 37lbs. I have a walk-in freezer and weigh all my meat so I know what mine where. You will hear lots of stories but I've yet to see one make 40lbs coming thru my walkin boned out. :)

TJ

I agree with TJ. Normal for a mature buck would be 30-35 lbs. I weighed one that dressed out at 134 (by far the biggest bodied Coues buck that I have seen). That one might have yielded over 40 lbs.