Sign in to follow this  
NewHunter

2-way Radios...

I don't have a set yet... What do you use? What should I look for when buying them? I really have no idea...

I found a set at Target with 3 radios for $50 (motorola brand), but that sunds cheap to me for 3 radios and I don't want to buy anything junky. I also don't want to spend more than $50-$75.

Let me know what you think, any/all input is welcome...

They all are the same as the FCC only allows so much transmission power for 2-way radios. The GPRS channels have a little more power and FCC requires a license to use them. However, since the license is to use the "repeaters" and only 1 or 2 (expensive) models allow you to do that you'll NOT, with an everyday radio, be connecting to any repeater. So, the license is obsolete. Additionally you may consider: weather channel (it helps), auto channel lock, emergency signal, built in flash light etc...

Don't go crazy with the so called 67.895 mile range claim; you won't hear pass 3 miles anywhere in the mountains, if you're lucky!

AHB

Make sure all the beeps and noises can be turned off. One feature I find very helpful is the "vibrate call alert". The Midland radios I have, do have this feature. Not sure of the other brands. This allows you to simply press the call button to vibrate your buddy's radio. Then he can talk back to you to find out wuz up. This allows you to keep the volume very low. Otherwise, you have to speak into the radio to get your buddy's attention, and he has to have the volume loud enough to hear your call. I've got an older set of Midlands (maybe 5 years old) that allow you to silence all beeps and noises and turn on the vibrate feature. The Midland "Bubba" radios don't have the vibrate feature. My buddy bought a set of Midlands about a year ago and couldn't turn off all the beeps, so he took them back.....could've been operator error. The problem with this frequency band (FRS) is that objects and terrain greatly reduce the range. Open Hills and canyons will reduce the range to 2 or 3 miles. Tall pines, hills and canyons will reduce the range to 1 mile. Over all, they serve most of the hunters needs for an economical price. Buisiness Band radios have more range through obsticals, but are more money, and usually larger. Also, you're suppose to have a license to operate them.

I combined my radio and GPS and got the Garmin 530 hcx. It's a great radio and GPS. I use all the features, but would probably buy the 520 next time. It's great to have one less thing to carry.

What do you do about the Boone & Crockett Club's rules against accepting entries for game taken with the use of radios? Do you really turn your sets off when you glass up an animal you feel might be a record book head?

Bill Quimby

I like the older Cobras. The new ones seem too boxy. Everyone I know who uses Motorola radios have an annoying "roger" beep at *every* broadcast that you can't seem to silence. With the Cobras, you can set them to vibrate mode which is very good for getting your hunting partner's attention without any noise that may spook game. They also have earbuds with inline mics that work well in the field if you can run the wires under your clothes so they don't hang up on everything.

To Bill's point, the use of 2-way radios will disqualify entries in P&Y & Boone and Crockett. Personally, I don't agree with that rule, but it is the rule. We had a good member leave this forum over the debate about whether using radios actually violated the rules of "fair chase" and the whole discussion on "ethics" that ensued. No need to re-hash that debate, but just be clear that if your intention is to enter a trophy to either of these organizations, the use of radios is prohibited.

When you do select radios, look at range as a starter, but that range is "line of sight". A 10-mile range can be reduced to a few hundred yards in most of the country we hunt in AZ. That said, my buddies all bought Garmin Rhino's hoping to consolidate the GPS with the radio. Great product, overall, but the range they could actually communicate with these $700 gps/radios was pathetic compared to my cheap Cobras. I could keep in touch with our hunting buddies on the Kiabab at much further distances than they could.

If I were buying new radios today, I would look at Cobra & Midland, and I would steer clear of Motorola.

Just my $.02

i have motorolas that i just bought and silenced everything. good radios imo.

B&C rules state: "Use of electronic communication devices to guide hunters to game" - so as long as you are not using it to guide other hunters or yourself to game you are good. Personally I think of radios as a safety issue, If my hunting partners or I get hurt we need to communicate that to each other and where we are in order to send help.

I agree with this, they are a safety issue. We use the Garmin Rino's so that we can see who is where and not worry about anyone getting lost. In my opinion a must with Jr hunters.

As for what is best you get what you pay for... maybe not in power but in durability, features, and clarity. However; the cheap ones are better than no radio.