Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Unit 37 A & B?

Does anyone know why they do not open these units in August/Sept?

Every other unit in the area is open but not these two.

The hunters will get in the way of all the bulldozers that are flattening those units for developers.

Bob

They were closed before they started building out there.

Plus, most of the unit is State Trust land.

Even unit 19A, which every last square foot is being developed, is still open for archery deer and antelope hunting in August and September.

Does anyone know why they do not open these units in August/Sept?

Every other unit in the area is open but not these two.

maybe there is no deer left,according to the freeman ranch there was alot of poaching going on in the early to mid 90s.the drought affected fawn survival too.what i dont understand is game and fish offering so many tags i think 37b was 500 and 37a was 200

I went out yesterday around 96 ranch to help a friend try and find a deer he shot last saturday. He said it was a 5 x 4 mule deer with cheaters. He hit it in the shoulder, did not leave a great blood trail. So far he has been unsuccessful in locating it. He has been out 3 of the last 5 days looking for it. He told me he going to give it a couple more trys in looking for it.

That's a bummer when you can't locate an animal. I've been in that same situation before.

Terry

I apologize for my smart alec answer desert bull. I am just bitter that my dove/duck/ feral pig/ javalina spot was completely bull dozed last year. You raise a good question that I think spotlights a bigger problem. Shouldn't game and fish give a unit by unit account of why they do what they do in each unit. They are a public agency and there should be some tranparency to their decisions on hunts and tag numbers for each unit. I can't think of a good reason to limit the 37s to winter only except that they consider these low desert units like the 40s. Then I believe the reasoning is there is just a limited number of water sources and it would not be fair-chase to allow hunting during the hot summer when you just have to sit the (scarce?) water.

Bob

The water thing is what I was thinking too, but every desert unit has the same advantage.

I personally don't care to hunt when it is still 110* outside. I would rather go to the mountains and save those units for the winter hunts.

hey couesarcher I have been out pig hunting in that same area and will be out again in the next week. If I see anything I will let you know. I am hunting between the 96 hills and the Box O.