Sign in to follow this  
newcoueshunter5

36b

If it was a turkey , it would be a Goulds.

Game and fish has been extremely aggressive at reintroducing them.

I was in the Huachucas in the spring and saw over 25 birds.

Since 2003, the Arizona Game and Fish Department and the National Wild Turkey Federation have transferred 82 Gould's wild turkeys from Mexico to the Chiricahua, Huachuca and Pinaleno mountains of southern Arizona as part of their Go for the Gould's project. Last year, Game and Fish staff and National Wild Turkey Federation volunteers relocated 28 Gould's wild turkeys within the borders of Arizona. Seven of those birds were released with radio telemetry units attached.

Current estimates show Gould's turkeys expanding their population and range. "A survey we did in the Huachuca Mountains last year observed 321 Gould's turkeys. The highest previous number for that area was 90 in 2004," says Wakeling.

"The Chiricahua, Huachuca and Pinaleno mountains all contain Gould's wild turkey flocks that are surviving and increasing," says Dr. James Earl Kennamer, National Wild Turkey Federation senior vice president for conservation programs. "There was even a report of several turkeys being seen in the Patagonia and Santa Rita Mountains where birds have not been released. Our partnership with the Arizona Game and Fish Department and the ability to work with Mexican officials has increased the U.S. population of Gould's turkeys considerably."

Gould's turkeys are one of Arizona's two native wild turkey subspecies. They are slightly larger than Merriam's turkeys, which are found throughout much of Arizona's high country. Gould's turkeys were once found in riparian corridors and isolated mountain ranges in southeastern Arizona, but their numbers began to decline with the westward expansion of settlers.

Gould's turkeys were an important food source for people who settled and worked in the rugged lands of southeastern Arizona, and by 1920 the birds had disappeared from our state largely due to unregulated hunting and unregulated land use practices. A small population is still found in New Mexico, and a larger population exists in the Sierra Madre Mountains of Mexico.

Starting in the late 1930s, the Arizona Game and Fish Department began a wild turkey restocking program in the southeastern Arizona mountains utilizing the Merriam's subspecies. Over the long-term, Merriam's translocations in this habitat had mixed results, and the program now reintroduces the Gould's subspecies, which seems to be better adapted to the climatic and habitat conditions of the southern Arizona mountain ranges.

There have been sightings in the Patagonia Mts as well..

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but hope it helps...

Arizona Pope and Young

I have seen them in 34.

I saw a flock in 35b eating apples out of a tree about 8 years ago. The rancher said he sees them all the time.

I've seen them done while Mearns hunting down south of the Patagonia Mtns a couple of times. Found lots of feathers too. Would love to have that tag... I have a ton of Rios under the belt, one Merriams from NM, and one Eastern from the Oazarks in northern Arkansas. I am ithching to get toe rest of them . They are all so beatuful and fun to hunt. I LOVE TO TURKEY HUNT!!! Those Goulds are beautiful..

On that note though, I am down by TB ranch all the time and have NEVER seen a turkey anywhere around there. heck, those birds I've seen down while quail hunting are the first turkeys I've seen at all since moving here to AZ. Hopefully, the Goulds are expanding their range..

G&F has been introducing them back into their natural range. A buddy of mine found some in the Galiuros, and I have seen them on Mt Graham a few times in the past two years. There is info on the G&F website. Find the link on the right side of the page.

I have spent alot of time near the TB ranch, and I couldn't even imagine seeing a turkey in that country, but, I have never seen a Goulds turkey in Arizona yet either so what do I know. B) It's always a possibility! JIM

Yeah, that's about right..

I probably had 30 in my bird vest come end of season.

I see the Goulds most often right off the road when you are going south out of Sonoita towards Parker Canyon. There is a spot where the road comes close to the Canelo Hills. They are always there.

I have seen the National Wild Turkey Federation down there a time or two as well doing studys. They said they are doing good and they are expanding their range. They said the same for the flock in the Chiricahua range as well.