Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Hunting Griz Country

I'll b hunting in MT next week in an area with alot of grizzly. Another site posted one group saw 6 Griz near where ill be and were cleared for killing 1 that charged. I have bear spray and will have the choice of a .357 or .50 desert eagle to carry while hunting. Don't like the weight of the .50 but not sure if the .357 is nothing more than a noise maker to a grizz. I will also b hunting by myself on a DIY elk/deer combo in dark timber. Any tips recommendations appreciated - never had to deal with grizzlies before!

Never hunted in grizzley country myself but they say to make lots of noise. Now I know that noise is not conducive to sneaking up on deer or elk so here is one tip. Many of the hikers wear bells and carry pepper spray with them to keep the grizzleys away. If you see fresh bear scat with bells in it and it smells like pepper you most likely are close to a griz's territory. Me, I'd carry the weapon with the most close range stopping power.

EBB

Good luck on your hunt Ryan. Why are you hunting by yourself in that kind of country? Be careful and take alot of pictures to share with us. :)

TJ

Haha that's funny EBB! I'll keep that in mind.

TJ, my grandfather wanted me to come up and hunt but hes not in any shape to actually go out but he will be in the nearest town. He got me access to a couple ranches through family friends. Its kinda a shoot from the hip deal with no scouting but they're confident the rancher can direct me into some elk. Should be fun, miss that old growth dark timber I grew up with.

That sounds like it is going to be a good chance of you scoring with your Grandfather's friends helping out with access. Not to mention you get to spend some time with your Grandfather. Keep us posted. :)

TJ

A couple of years ago we hunted in the Bob Marshall Wilderness on a mountain goat hunt. I tried every thing I could think of to find a griz but never got to see one...

I'll b in the tobacco roots or gravelly range depending with my grandpa staying in Sheridan. I don't know the areas exactly but last year 3 hunters were apparntly mauled with 1 killed along the upper ruby river which is one area I'll b

near. Not too worried about em really but want to be prepared just in case.

Guest 300ultramag.

pepper spray wont do anything to a hungry bear... right now most bears are healthy and feed is readily available.. they should be goin about there business... i would reccommend a shotgun w/ a sling and fill her up with slugs.... and a side arm... it could be ur life line

and fyi dont waste ur time appearing larger.. if the bear is approaching.. thats a dead bear..

Thx 300 Ive been sprayed (for training purposes and exposed to it on various other occasions) with pepper spray and the only thing I can think of that might b worse is being mauled by a bear while Satan burns ur eye ballss out! Problem with that stuff is that it can affect the sprayer just as much. I'm sure my grandpa has a shotgun I could tote along..

If it is an archery hunt, I would go with the big .50 pistol. I have been in grizzly country a couple of trips but never had any close encounters. I saw 4 last year in Alaska at 1500 yards, and that is the range I would prefer to see them at :) Good luck

Where will you be at? I currently live up by West Yellowstone,MT. Smack dab in the middle of Grizzly central. Don't under estimate bear spray. It works, and you won't have to deal with the feds over a dead Griz. 2 people have been killed by Griz in YNP this summer, neither of which had bear spray.

Leave the .357 at home and take the larger handgun if you're worried about encountering an aggressive grizzly bear.

I've witnessed two botched attempts to kill treed black bears with the .357, and have nothing but contempt for that caliber on bears.

A friend shot one of those bears 12 times with a .357 before it dropped; as for the other bear, I fired five shots into its chest with a .357 at 40 feet with no effect before literally literally knocking it out of the tree with one shot from the guide's .44 magnum.

Bill Quimby